Chapter 7

Tw/Cw: Mention of suicide

He drifted in and out of consciousness pretending to be asleep when he wasn't. Eventually, Byakuya left. But he wasn't awake for the trade-off. After what seemed barely a few minutes, he flipped over to see. He was hit with mixed feelings when he saw Munakata sitting there staring at him and taking up a lot of space. He groaned.

"Oh great. It's you." He didn't respond like always. So Sakakura sat up. Without talking, he had no instructions to obey. Munakata followed him with his eyes, keeping his body perfectly still. "I can't believe you still bother to come in here. Not like anything is happening. And no! I have not forgiven you for bringing me back!" There was no response. "I don't know how long you plan to use the silent treatment. And if anything, I should be using it on you! ... how's Yukizome?" Munakata froze at the mention of her name. Sakakura couldn't help but smirk at this. "So you regret it yet? Bringing us back? Or will it take more? I don't know how much more it can go! Just the love of your life turning against you and everything you stand for? You-"

"S-she wasn't-" Sakakura was shocked by the soft voice cracking through. Munakata looked away.

"Wasn't what? On the side of despair? Because I've heard the whole story."

"She wasn't- the love of my life..." Sakakura laughed while fighting the urge to begin to cry.

"Oh really? You really didn't have feelings for her?"

"I never said that!"

"Don't even bother trying to hide those feelings from me. I'm still your best friend no matter what."

"I know! That doesn't change the fact she wasn't the love of my life!"

"Well, you're getting strangely defensive. If you didn't love her why's it so difficult for you?"

"Because she was still my friend ok?? And yeah, maybe I liked her a little!"

"Well, why didn't you say anything!? That may have helped her come back from despair!"

"Cause I thought you liked her!" Sakakura laughed.

"Me? Absolutely not! We were only friends ourselves!"

"And if you were friends, why aren't you upset? Huh?"

"Maybe because I'm too busy being upset over being brought back to life after being accused of the same thing!"

"Yeah, and I'm sorry, ok!? It's my fault!" Sakakura wasn't expecting an apology mid-argument. It struck him silent. He realized he was practically out of bed, and Munakata had stood up as well. Screaming in each other's faces... he couldn't remember exactly the last time they had an argument that intense. But whenever it was0... he remembered falling back under the temptation of kissing him. But that time he wouldn't back down so easily.

"...Alright... good... Then prove it."

"How?"

"Kill me." Munakata sighed

"I won't do that. I know you aren't happy to be here, but you will live."

"But if you kill me, they can't have Yukizome! I'm not sure why they want her but if we do that-" Munakata shook his head and fell back.

"I don't care anymore."

"You have to! They're the reminants of despair!"

"And I don't care." Sakakura sighed and fell back as well.

"...if only our views on the matter were consistent."

"Your only view is wanting to die!"

"I prepared myself to die the moment you stabbed me! I was completely ready! You can't just undo that! And your only view is keeping me alive so you don't off yourself!"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Quite being so selfish! You can survive just fine without me!" Munakata's mouth hung open for a moment. Then he crossed his arms and turned away.

"I can't, ok?"

"Why not?" But he didn't respond. Not for a moment, not for a minute, not for half an hour. "...we're really doing this again? ...whatever. Night." Sakakura flipped over again and felt himself drifting into sleep almost instantly.