Getting Back To Work

ThirdNines closed the passenger door and climbed into his side

Third
Nines closed the passenger door and climbed into his side. Once he got the car started he pulled away from the building, stopping just around the corner at a stop light where his mask broke. "Fuck." He mumbled as he rested his forehead against the steering wheel.

"Nines..." Gavin spoke softly, leaning over to rub the back of his neck. "It's gonna be just fine. I promise." Nines sent him a sheepish nod before continuing the drive towards the station.

"They won't let up you know... They'll judge you and me forever..."

"So let them. It's not about them. It's about what makes us happy. About what makes you and I happy." Gavin rested his head on his shoulder and let out a small sigh. "I'm happy with you no matter what people say..." Nines nodded and turned the wheel, pulling into the parking lot and parking calmly.

"Eren would have a hay day hearing about this..." Nines mumbled. "He'd tease me and tease me..." He sighed and shook his head. "He'd kick ass if someone else teased me about it though..."

"That's what family does... right?" Gavin asked, turning his head to face his lover. Nines looked over as he turned the car off, eyes locking eyes. The larger male's blue eyes softened as he leaned closer and pressed his lips onto his lover's forehead.

"It is. Ready to head inside? Connor and Hank should be here and Eren too if he's assaulted that one asshole FBI android at his workplace." (Cough cough Perkins cough cough) Gavin smiled wearily and got out of the car, walking over to Nines and wrapping his hand around his bicep before letting him go.

Timeskip!
Gavin sat with his legs resting on the desk, the report in his hands. Nines stood with his arms resting on the top of the chair. "So we caught the criminal and his confession told us the reasons why he targeted the people he did..." Nines began pointing out small inconsistencies here and there with the confession before stopping to move around a little.

Connor leaned against the desk, index finger over his lips as he thought about the information Hank's LED spun a quick yellow as he registered the information and added it to the database. Suddenly Gavin found himself aware of the hundreds of eyes aimed directly at his body, or what he imagined to be.

Every time he would look or turn his head he'd catch people looking away from him quickly. He could hear hushed whispers, but not the words. He turned in the chair after lowering his legs to see Nines, who had paused to mumbled off the information again.

"What about the man Eren killed?" Gavin asked suddenly, causing the whispers to die down and all gaze to fall upon their little group. Nines bit his bottom lip and shrugged.

"Eren fired the gun with the intent to protect the people around him. He's always been like that, risking his own life for somebody else's. He took the report from his small lover's hands and read over it before sending the report finally. "First case finished." He spoke up.

Meanwhile, a dark-haired male sat at a table with his laptop in front of him, a medium-long blonde-haired girl watching over his shoulder. "Your brothers work very well..." She praised and turned her blue eyes towards an android who walked over with a tray. "Oh thank you, Elijah." He set it on the table and left them alone again.

"They work well together," Eren spoke, shifting back in the chair he rested in. He closed his eyes for a moment and let a tired groan leave his lips before he opened his eyes again. "Reports reports reports..." He muttered, leaning forward to tap on the keyboard. "I should finish my work as well before I'm tossed back towards Amanda. Scary woman she is...." He mumbled and flicked his eyes towards the door when it opened.

A young woman entered the room, smiling shyly at Chloe as she timidly waved. "Welcome back Myrie. How are you?"

"I'm good, thank you." She turned her gaze to look at Eren curiously, "How goes work?"

"Very long, but good."

Back with Gavin, who had gone outside when he saw Nines leaving the building. The tall brunette pulled out a cigarette, which was promptly taken away by Gavin. "You can't keep doing that Gavin." He complained, seeing as the other male's face changed.

"You shouldn't be smoking or drinking. It's not healthy. I don't like that..." Gavin retorted, pushing back at Nines and refusing to hand him the small death stick.

"Gavin." Nines spoke in a deep, hushed tone. This sent a shiver down Gavin's spine as he looked into the icy blue eyes of his lover.

"Nines..." He whispered softly. "Please...?" His softened eyes bore into Nines' heart and he averted his eyes. A sigh left his lips and he hung his head.

"Fine. But it's not gonna be easy to stop." He held out the rest of the carton and snatched the one back from Gavin. "You can regulate how many I have a day, okay? Sound fair?"

Gavin looked down at the carton with a small frown before nodding. "Okay... But you should try chewing gum instead. Minty things can help the process." His LED flashed yellow before returning to blue.

"Where did you learn that?" Ninez asked softly, eyes dancing over his lover's face.

"Just research. Eren told me that his real father used to smoke and that chewing mint flavored gum to help distract himself..."

"So you know he was adopted then?" Nines asked, tilting his head slightly to the left as one strand of chocolate brown fell over his forehead.

"He told me about it when I asked why he didn't look very much like you and Detective Anderson. He told me what led him to join your family and knowing it broke my heart..." Gavin looked away and refused to meet Nines' understanding eyes.

"He's a strong man because of all of it. And he's better off and happier now than he was back then. We'll make him proud Gav. I promise." Gavin lifted his eyes, peering through his lashes as Nines sent him a warm smile.