F I V E | K.M.

September 15, 2020

Kayden Malfoy's POV

School is a pain in my arse. I'm over it already.

I'm over everything really. My brother. My classes. Social media.

James Fucking Potter.

He keeps popping up everywhere recently and I'm over his smug smirks, his caring stares at Ophelia, his shite jokes that manage to make her laugh...

Opehlia still doesn't know I know about her relationship with the dickhead Gryffindor, so she still manages to keep it a secret the best she can. I'm happy for her, I am, but I just wish it were me. I wish it weren't James.

"Mum?" I asked as I ran a hand through my hair. Every Friday, I join Mum in her classroom while she's marking for some time together. I do see her often, but I like the time I have alone with her. It gives me something to look forward to.

I also like to watch her -- not in a creepy way, but in a way that I can see what I was to deal with when I became older. She's my subject if I want to heal minds, even if she doesn't know it yet.

My mum looked up from her work at me, blue meeting grey. "Yes, love?"

"I need your advice on something." I murmured hesitantly.

"What is it, Kayd? You're making me a little nervous here." She said, her eyes roaming my face in search for an answer that I'm sure she can't find.

I avoided her gaze, afraid of her using Occlumency on me in that moment. I don't know why that was a fear, she's never used it on me before, neither has my Dad. I'm not even sure she knows how to preform the act itself.

"It's about Ophelia." I plucked up emugh courage to glance at her.

Mum leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms over her chest, and letting her face relax into a playful smirk. "Ophelia, hm?"

"I fancy her, Mum. I've fancied her forever." I let out in one big breath.

My mum clapped happily and smiled broadly. "I've been wondering how many years it would take for you to tell me! Draco said it would be five. I said two. Ha! I'm closer. I win!"

My eyebrows peaked in surprise. "You and Dad betted on my love life?"

"Pfft, yeah. We do it all the time. If he won, I was meant to do this little trick I do where-

"I've heard enough!" I exclaimed, covering my ears and yelling. "La, la, la"

She laughed, her hair bouncing over her shoulders youthfully. Her smile was wide and her teeth a pearly white. Mum is beautiful. I take it as a compliment when someone says I look like her. Though, I suppose my father is a fine looking chap.

She wheezed, doubling over herself as I continued my singing -- well, more like screeching.

"Okay, okay," she yelled over my voice. "I'm done!"

I removed my hands from my ears and placed them in front of me slowly as if she was going to do it again and I would need to slam my hands back over my ears once more. But she sat trying to catch her breath, her chest heaving and her face a pretty shade of pink.

Mum cleared her throat. "Okay, what about O?"

"She's dating James Potter." I replied, a dark feeling replacing the embarassment mixed with joy that had just been there not seconds ago.

"Oh," my mum's lips pressed in a flat line. "Does Blaise know? Luna?"

"No, I don't think so," I hummed and then added. "But don't tell them!"