Chapter 3

I got the job.
I start working Monday. It's Friday.
I really did not think I would get the job. But apparently they're under staffed so guess I was in the right place at the right time.
I go back to Dahlias place. I have a key so I walk in. She's writing in a small notebook as I go inside.

I sigh dramatically and frown my biggest frown
"Aw I hate to tell you I told you so but-"
I cut her off before she can finish
"But I got the job!"
She shrieks and we hug
"How did you pull that off.. or who did you-"
I cover her mouth so she can't finish that sentence
"Don't even finish that. I did a normal interview"

She sits back down on the couch and says
"Well not sure how you managed that but good job"

I see her laptop she works on for our "investigation" if you could even call it that, is on the floor beside her
"Any new info?"
I ask her
She shakes her head
"Nope."
I sit down beside her and let out a real sigh this time
She picks up a bag of pretzel sticks from out of no where and eats a couple then takes one and points it at me
"What about Steve"
She then eats half of the pretzel stick
"Well he's M.I.A and has been since the blip so the only way we'll find him is asking someone who knows him"

"Like Bucky?"
Dahlia questions
"Like Bucky"
I clarify

I spend the rest of the day at my house but in the morning Dahlia had reminded me how I promised her we'd go shopping this weekend. She's absolutely obsessed with shopping, any kind. I'm not even sure how she has any money at all shopping the way she does.

I put on a simple outfit and meet Dahlia at a nearby store. We shop until I start to complain about my feet hurting so we leave.
"Ya know when I tell you we're shopping just being better shoes" Dahlia says. She had been lecturing me all the way out of the shop but I had not said a single word.
We wait to cross the street but as it tells us to walk I instantly spot a familiar face.

Bucky

Dahlia continues to talk but I can't hear a single thing.
Knees weak,
Heart pounding,
Hands sweating,
Ears ringing.
Happens when I see him
I should say hi. But I can't say hi. Oh but I really want to. I should.
My feet feel like they're glued to the floor

I stare at him as he walk the crosswalk.
He's wearing a very boring outfit which is very Bucky of him.
His hair is different he grew up
I wonder if I look like I grew up.
He passed Dahlia and I
Then he makes direct eye contact with me as he leaves

I can finally relax as he leaves

I had just noticed Dahlia had been asking me the whole time why we weren't crossing the street and why I was starring and what I was starring at.
My bad..

We quickly rush into a coffee shop across the street so I can have a moment to breathe

"And he was right there! Right there. I could've said hi. I could've even waved. Do you think when we see each other again he'll recognize me? Do you think we'll even see each other again?! Oh god what if the bar idea doesn't work out-"
It had felt like I was talking at the speed of light.

Dahlia puts her hands on my shoulders and looks me in the eyes
"Diane. It's going to be fine. Don't stress about it. He's just a guy. It's alright"

She always finds a way to ground me when I panic like I do.
"You're right you're right."