2

2 Weeks later

I was alone in the corridor of the student dormitory, it was midnight and I couldn't sleep. Everything was empty because there was a party going on somewhere, I was invited but I wasn't particularly interested in alcohol and loud music.

Bloody Hell... did they ever want to turn off the music? That can't be true... We're here to learn something, and by that I mean science, history or maths, not how to get drunk.

A little upset, I was walking down the corridor when I heard something crack and bang.

What was that? Was that the floor? Were there some drunk boys who had lost their way?

Okay Mara, get your shit together and go check it out. Don't be like that. Don't be so.. you.

I slowly moved forward and felt myself stepping into a liquid. I recoiled and shone my mobile phone lamp on it before shrieking in fright.

Red. All i saw was red. The floor was covered in blood. How did so much blood get here?

I guess the better question would be, who lost all the freaking blood??

I sighed with relief when I saw someone. I could only make out his outline, not his face, it was all dark and I was still pointing my mobile phone light at the carnage. I smiled in relief and my muscles relaxed.

I was no longer alone! There was someone who would help me!

This someone came towards me, he didn't say anything, he came closer and closer and closer and shit this was too close for me. I tensed up and suddenly an ice-cold shiver ran down my spine.
This person was not there to help me.
My legs pushed away from the ground when already less than 5 metres separated me and the stranger. I ran. Screaming for help, I slammed the door of my room shut, but I could hear him working on it.

I didn't want to die yet!

So I followed the 'Disney-Beauty-and-the-Beast-trick' and knotted all my snugling blankets together. I attached them to the foot of the bed and abseiled down from the second floor as best as I could.

It was a good thing Davina wasn't here, she would have laughed at me.
When my feet finally touched the ground, I ran as if stung by a tarantula in the direction from which the music sounded.

Okay Mara, you're not going to die, just keep running, don't get tired, just don't stop.

I whimpered as someone caught me and held me close.

"Let go of me!!!", I shrieked.

"Mara...? Are you okay? What happened? I saw you running... are you alright?", Charles asked in alarm, stroking my shaking body.

"There's blood everywhere, Charles.  Down the corridor from the frat house. And there was someone, he came closer and ran after me," I cried, allowing the closeness.

"We better go inside first, we'll let your family know," he said, as if he knew this day was coming and had been prepared for it all his life.

Before I knew it, I was sitting in the middle of the party, I kind of was the new party, as everyone suddenly paid attention to me. Soon the police was here and wanted a statement from everyone to find the culprit more quickly. I was being talked to by a detective when suddenly my mum and Davina came around the corner.

Nick, my father, never had a problem to let the two of them walk around together without protection. Probably because they were like him, they knew all the ambush techniques, weapons and precautions.

He trusted them to look after themselves, something that hadn't been the case for me for ages.

"Honey... are you okay?", mum asked, stroking my cheek.

I just nodded gently and looked at Davina, who was looking around warily. I knew for a fact that she was wearing a butterfly knife on her thigh. In the inside of her jacket she probably had a Magnum.... or maybe a Glock.

"Sis, I hope this was a lesson for you. You are supposed to get drunk and not sit alone in your room", Davina said with sarcasm in her voice.

"Davina, now is not the time", Charles interjected, giving her a warning look.

"Easy brownie.", she grinned, fully aware that this might have sounded a bit racist.

But we knew Davina and she knew us. We knew that she, more than some other people, was accepting of everything different, new and strange. She didn't give a shit what language, religion or skin colour someone had. For these reasons, and because we were all aware of her black humour, we loved her really bad. By the way... I was sure she was bi. I don't know why, she wasn't a stereotype but I don't think she would box herself up with the partnerchoice concerning love.

So Charles just rolled his eyes and grinned a little at her statement.