22

Davina's P.o.V
I was lying in my bed with Charles. I felt his breath on the back of my neck. My back was against his chest and he was stroking my hip.

"Davina?"

"Huh?", I asked, looking at him over my shoulder.

"What are you thinking?", he sighed.

"I think it should be me. I've taken lives. Lots of lives. And she's only ever practiced and prepared to act like this in an emergency situation. She's the angel of our family after all...", I whispered, quickly wiping away a tear.

"No one deserves something like this. God may really have a bigger plan for her.", he said.

At that moment, I heard tires rolling along the gravel path of the driveway.
My eyes widened and I hastily threw my blanket aside to hop out of bed. As my feet touched the ground they pushed off hard and I ran to the stairs. Carelessly, I took a few steps at a time and swung over the railing to shortcut the rest of the way and jump down. Elegantly, I rolled off over my shoulder when I reached the bottom. I quickly stood up and rushed to the door, which I yanked open without hesitation.

"Are you okay?", her angelic voice asked me.

I nodded curtly and gently pulled her into the house. Behind me, the rest of the family was already coming along. Jacob pushed his way to the front and helped her to the couch. He quickly pulled out a blanket and spread it over her. I watched them sigh and gestured for River to come in, but he waved it off.

"I need to check on our inmate.", he said.

Right. That one weird dude from the other gang wasn't dead. Yet. Noah or whatever his name was.

"Now that Mara has nothing to do, she should come help me," he said. "She should get a taste of gang air again, otherwise she'll get lost in it eventually."

I nodded gently and went to Mara to tell her about it. Reluctantly, she did hang out with River now, but she didn't like it at all.

"Ally?", asked Jacob. "Do you want me to carry you to your room?"

"Ou okay-", she said, but was interrupted.

"The door stays open.", said Colin jokingly.

Mom and Dad were standing in the kitchen and seemed to be having a fractious conversation with Kai. I couldn't understand word from here, but they didn't really want to share the conversation with us either.

Astonished, I went up with Charles, who took me to my room and lay with me as he turned on the TV.

"What do you think it's like?"

"Like what is?", he asked intently.

"To die."

"I don't know. Maybe we're in another world. Maybe we'll be reborn. Who knows?", he sighed.

I nodded briefly and snuggled against his chest. He put his hand on my hip and made gentle circles on it with his fingers.

I felt a pressure building up in my stomach. It was as if someone had kicked me in the stomach. It all felt so flat, as if I would vomit or faint at any moment. This pressure was rising in my throat, which felt like a lump was stuck in it. My eyes began to burn and I bit my lip. My body began to shake and I clawed at Charl's shirt.

"Davina?", he asked softly. "Hey?", he got louder when he didn't get an answer.

Immediately, he pulled me close to him and lifted me up. I bit my lip harder and clenched my eyelids. I found myself in the gym. He bandaged my hands and pointed to a punching bag.

"Come on.", he sighed.

Whimpering, I stood properly and raised my fists to chin level.
Tears trickled from my eyes and I quickly wiped them away.

"Ally's dying.", Charles began to speak.

"Stop it.", I said in a trembling voice.

"Your sister is dying.", he repeated himself.

"No damn it! You shut the fuck up!", I yelled, aggressively punching the punching bag.

"Your little sister is dying and there's nothing you can do."

Screaming, I punched the punching bag and soon noticed a slight swing.

"She's just leaving us!!! She's just going to leave! And I don't even know when. Fucking 3 weeks! But it could be tomorrow!", I screamed desperately, hitting harder and harder.

After a while I stopped and grabbed my forehead. I held on to the punching bag and let myself sink to the floor. A few seconds later I was pulled up by strong hands. They carried me to a washroom and put me under a shower. Soon, warm water was pouring down on me and Charles was peeling me out of my clothes.