24

Jacobs P.o.V
"Ally!", I exclaimed with a happy laugh. "We leave in three hours!"

Grinning, I marched up the stairs. Laughing, I ran a hand through my hair and pushed open the door.

"Ally, didn't you hear me? We're going to Torbole!", I said overjoyed.

I stopped in the doorway and looked over at my girl, who was lying soulfully in bed.

"Allison?", I asked and stepped closer when I spotted the letters on the nightstand.

My eyes widened and I dropped to my knees in front of her bed. My heart seemed to freeze, I suddenly felt colder than ever. Gently I reached for her hand, stroking it. I wanted to wake her up. When I realized after a few seconds that she would not wake up, tears came out of my eyes.

I wiped them away with the back of my hand and pushed myself off the floor. I hurried to Davina's room, who was lying in bed with Charles. I looked at her without words, my eyes glazed over. She jumped out of bed and pushed past me into Ally's room. I stopped in the doorway, had my head down, when a scream rang out.

"Ally!!! Mom! Dad!", she cried out tearfully.

Charles then pushed past me as well. Her parents could be heard hurrying up the stairs. Sobs rang out.

"Davina...", Colin's voice spoke sadly.

I walked, without strength, into Ally's room, where most of the family was already standing. I looked at Charles, who was trying to calm his girlfriend, but she tore herself away from him and knelt by the bed in front of her sister.

I placed a hand on her shoulder and knelt beside her. I saw her pull her sister's hand toward her and hold it gently. She rested her forehead against it and sobbed quietly to herself.

I had never seen her cry so much. Throughout the years, she had always been the one to wipe away her little sister's tears and take care of her. Davina had never cried, she always wanted to be the strong one, she was the living example that you can live without fear and regret.

I heard a person behind us unlock a phone and walk out of the room.

Maras P.o.V
That look. He looked at me, every single second, without deviating from me even a little bit.

"Why were you after me?", I asked softly.

"It was an assignment, nothing personal for me." Noah said.

I nodded and looked to River, who was standing behind me answering his ringing phone.

"Yes?", he said coldly.

A few seconds later, his expression changed. He looked at me, a surge of sadness flooding his eyes. River put his hand on my shoulder and looked down at the ground before hanging up.

"River? Are you okay?", I asked cautiously.

"Mara... It's about your sister."

"What did Davina do now?", I asked worriedly.

"It's not about Davina.", he said and I saw him tense up.

"Ally? What's wrong with her? Is she in that much pain again?", I sighed worriedly.

"Ally's not in pain anymore..."

His voice was unnaturally raspy and steamy. It sounded like he had a lump in his throat.

My eyes widened as I realized what he meant.

She was no longer in pain...she was better. She was in a better place, far from the earth where turmoil and violence raged. She had been picked up by little angels and carried to heaven.

I remained silent and let countless tears pass my cheeks before I began to sob.

She was gone. She was truly gone once and for all. Other than wonderful memories and photos, little would remain of her. But the love and faith she placed in us would never leave us, a part of her would always live on in us. But I could no longer hug her...I could no longer laugh with her, share my fears with her. Even the smell in her room and on her clothes would disappear day by day and be replaced by a bland, cold one. I would never be able to look into her beautiful amber eyes.