25

Timeskip: 3 Weeks later

Mara's P.o.V.
I went to the basement of River's mansion to bring Noah his food. In the last few weeks I always brought him his food. I spent hours watching him, he didn't speak. It was interesting and kept me distracted from thinking about the fact that I lost my littlest sister.

"Long time no see.", he said and walked to the bars.

I was surprised but stayed quiet and unlocked his cell, he was chained, so I should be safe.

"You know... one day I will make it out of here."

"Good luck with that.", I said and wiped away a tear.

"You are gonna get yourself killed."

"How come?", I sighed.

"You underestimate your fellow man and that is what's going to get you killed."

I set the bowl with soup in it on the floor, had my back turned to him. As I rose from my crouch, I felt a warm breath on the back of my neck.

Startled, I wanted to turn around, but he was already holding me and pressing my gun, which he had pulled from my belt, to my temple.

"Go on with it. Kill me.", I cried and bit my lip.

"Why the fuck would you say that?", he laughed.

"My sister died and I kind of want to join her."

It was quiet for a while. He moved with me to the exit of the cell and slammed the door.

"What-what are you doing?"

"As I said, it was nothing personal for me.", he said with a low toned voice.

He settled down on the floor and took his grip off me. Gently, he placed my gun in one of my hands and gave me a little push so I could stand up and walk away from him.

"Why would you let me go? I was your only chance to escape."

"You want me to change my mind?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No.. No not really.", I said and raised my hands defensively. "But why?"

"Big mistake. You have your hands in the air, not on your gun. You've got a lot to learn about dealing with dangerous people.", he began to talk about my mistakes to distraced me from my question.

"You? Dangerous? Please, you had me and now you let me go. You are one son of a softie."

"I could have killed you."

"Yaaa but you didn't.", I said and sat down in front of him.

"I almost did. If your sister hadn't interfered you would be dead by now.", he said.

"Whatever", I sighed.

Noah raised an eyebrow as I pushed his food towards him.

"Who cooked this? It looks like vomit."

"Ouch.", I sighed and leaned against the wall.

I saw him grin briefly. I watched him take a spoonful of the soup and shove it into his mouth.

"A little more salt and-", he began.

"Stop it."

There was silence for a while.

"So... tell me 'bout her.", he began to speak.

"Who are you talking about?"

"Your sister, silly.", he said, continuing to spoon in the soup.

I looked at him with glazed eyes.

"Why should I?"

"Because you need to tell someone about her, obvioulsly.", he said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Okay fine... so she was a great girl. Darkbrown hair, amber eyes... she had these puffy lips which were able to produce an absolutely angelic smile.", I said and had to smile. "She had cancer.", I told him and my smile disappeared. "Before and even during her diagnosis, she stayed true to her belives. I think she handled it better than my entire family, she was so sure that God had something planned for her. I hope...", I paused and wiped away my tears. "I wish for her that what she had believed in would happen to her."

"It sounds like she had a very fullfilled life.", he spoke after a long silence.

I nodded and tugged at my shirt to distract myself.

Noah's P.o.V.
"You should get some rest...", I began. "You look tired."

"No, I'm not tired...", she tried to convince me.

"Yes you are, in fact you are very tired, but you don't want to sleep. You know that when you fall asleep, memories of her will come up. You know they'll come and you'll cry again. You are tired of crying.", I analyzed her, looking at her with a sigh.

"From where did you-?", the girl began.

"There are two reasons why you're in a gang. Either you want to protect and take care of those you love. Or there are no loved ones left, in which case there's no one to disappoint.", I explained to her. "Of course, there's also variant number three: you enjoy oppressing people and enjoy the amount of bitches on your dick.", I continued, leaning back. "It's up to you which scheme you put me in."

"I think I should go.", she said, standing up unsteadily.

"That's probably the best idea you've had so far."