02

There it goes again.

My pace starts speeding up as some footsteps enter my ear range. Everything is all the same. like a perfect sequence that doesn't seem to change, not even a bit.

Trying to keep up with my breathing, I start walking a little bit faster, with the hope of not looking too desperate.

I've already seen this episode a million times already, and still, it frightens me to death.

There was always this doubt of mine, that kept on wandering inside my brain.

'What if this is just my imagination?'

That's what people always thought whenever I tried to explain to them what happened to me every night.

Starting from my parents, they would always remember me about my fear of the dark and how my siblings would tease me about that, a late teenager scared of the dark, pathetic.

I've always wanted to fight this feeling but failed every single time.

The only one who cared and believed me is Jackson, reminding me all of the times how my life and friendship with him are precious.

The thought about that specific guy makes me slightly relax, slowing my rhythm, only positive and pure moments in my head.

I've elaborated on this tactic for a long time and believe me or not, it started with me forcing myself to think about him during my journey back home, and ended with me doing it unconsciously.

It is almost like a form of self-protection, my brain learned that it is the only thing that makes me forget about everything around me, totally embracing the fact that I'm constantly thinking about my best friend.

There actually isn't a particular episode that made the both of us decide that we were best friends, he simply scared away some weirdos around me that wanted to court me only for my 'different appearance'.

From then on, we just started talking more and more, till the point we could trust each other with our eyes closed.

Without even realizing it, I finally lock my house's door, me taking my shoes off, and approach my bedroom.

I smile looking at the clock alarm, seeing the time, and anticipating the usual message from Jackson.

There it is, 1:10 AM, punctual as always.

Best Man: Y/n you should be home by now. Is everything alright?

 Yes, I'm fine! Don't worry: Y/n

With my dumbfounded smile, I start taking off my clothes and getting ready to go to bed, laying down on my soft mattress and sniffing the exhilarant perfume of the small candle right on top of my night table.

I right away drift to sleep, my best friend still running through my mind.

A consistent sound disturbs my sleep, making me instantly open my eyes, not realizing it was already morning.

Turning off the alarm, I slowly stretch out both arms and legs, elongating my dorsal spine, some bone crack noises echo inside my chill room.

I like the sensation of waking up to a brand new day, knowing that something exciting might happen.

"Hi, Jackson!" I greet my mate as soon as I step inside the classroom.

"Good morning Y/n. How was work last night?" he purely asks, making me instantly blush at his curiosity in my day.

"Everything went smooth. It was Thursday after all, there weren't many people. I'm afraid for tonight. You know that Friday night people always come to that cafe" I pout, finally putting my rucksack down and sitting in front of him in my seat.