24

JISOO

"Are you sure about that?" Seulgi questions me for the tenth time while we have breakfast.

"I'll not repeat my answer, Seulbear." I cut the pancake and chew it while I look out the window. "Your girlfriend is coming." She turns her head automatically, in the same direction I'm looking, and the smile appears on her face.

"Hey, Irene." I nod lightly to her who gives Seulgi a quick kiss and sits down in front of me.

"Hi! Have you ever ordered something for me?" She takes the menu and steals the glass of juice from Seulbear, taking a sip.

"No, I was waiting for you to arrive. Order anything you want and as much as you want since Jisoo is paying." she nudges Irene and I roll my eyes.

"Eat and drink what you want, Irene." I turn my attention to the coffee cup and decide to ignore the couple of lovebirds in front of me. I miss Jennie so much, but she was so clear and sincere when she said she hated me...

"Jisoo!" Seulgi's altered voice brings me back to reality and I raise an eyebrow at her. "Your phone has been ringing for several minutes!" I look at the screen and slap my own forehead.

"Shit, shit, shit!" I get up quickly "I'm late for my appointment and, you two, don't be late for class." I point to them before handing my card to Seulgi.

"Christmas came early this year!" Seulgi gives a mischievous giggle and I roll my eyes before hurriedly leaving.

After running, practically, a mini marathon, I take the stairs two at a time and enter the room with my name taped to the door.

"Sorry for the delay, I was having breakfast with my sister and her girlfriend."

"I just arrived." the man looking at the titles of the books says without looking at me "You have a peculiar taste."

"We are the sum of the songs we listen to, the books we read and the experiences we live and learn." I shrug and put my bag under the table.

"Contemporary Philosopher Sooya?" He turns to me with a mocking smile on his face.

"Dear God, Suho, I'm already starting to regret having called you to take my place." I cross my arms and he laughs.

"Don't be so serious" he approaches me and pinches my nose "But I confess I was surprised when you called me."

"I don't know anyone better for the job than you." I shrug and he looks at me. "What?!"

"For what reason are you even leaving? This job is everything you asked for, flexibility, autonomy and creative freedom."

"I hope you have prepared something to challenge the minds of my students." I change the subject and see him watching me carefully "I want to see if you'll win them over."

"Are they difficult?"

"A little" I say when thinking about their potential "But if you know how to deal with them, you will achieve amazing things."

"I'll never be able to be as hard and demanding as you."

"Nobody can ever be like me." I roll my eyes and stick my tongue out at him.

"What if they ask about you? What should I say?"

"Tell I had some personal problems and I'm solving it. Don't give out more information or say anything they might interpret on my departure."

"Wow! What a mystery, Sooya."

"It's better this way. Now go, while you get them, I'll try to keep everything organized, as much as possible, for you."

"Wish me luck!"

"Don't get devoured by my little demons."

Almost three hours later, I'm still not even halfway through everything I need to correct and evaluate.

I rub my forehead to try to dispel some of the irritating pain that always accumulates at this point.

I lean my head back against the chair support and close my eyes, feeling the weariness want to overwhelm me. Why does everything have to be so difficult?

The desk phone rings, making the pain increase and I sigh as I answer it.

Shit, today I'm running late for everything, including meeting the dean to talk about my resignation.

I run away as soon as I hang up the phone and it feels like his office has never been so far away. I take a deep breath to calm myself as I rehearse what to say, without revealing the real reason for my request.

How am I going to tell him I'm quitting because the girl I like asked me to, as a token of love? God, when did I become such a tame, idiotic romantic?

"Aish, Jisoo, you're not yourself anymore!" I say to myself while rubbing my forehead and knocking lightly on the door.

"Come in, Kim." His firm voice makes me sigh softly.

"Good morning or good afternoon, sir."

"Hey, Kim." he watches me carefully as I sit in the chair across from him. "I'm surprised, to say the least, by your resignation. Something happened? Were the students difficult or insolent? Is there something we missed?"

"No, none of that, you were always great and the students, even if difficult" I remember Jennie "I can handle them."

"So what's the reason for your request?"

"I... I just think I need new challenges in my career, I feel that I'm stagnant and would like to evolve." he seems surprised to hear me and is staring at me, for what seems like an eternity.

"You're young, very young and you have your ambitions. I understand perfectly well." he scratches his beard and stares at the papers under the table. I open my mouth to speak, but he continues "What if we opened a free class, at different times, for the population that doesn't belong to the university, but is interested in everything you have to teach?"

"Huh?" I look confused at him.

"Jisoo, you were an important achievement for us. Your name carries a lot of weight since you accepted our invitation and the demand for our university has increased." he says seriously "I understand you crave new challenges and ambitions and I'm willing to think of programs and activities that you can teach, as long as you don't resign."

"I, uh, yeah..." I say confused as I try to organize my thoughts, this change of plans wasn't something I expected.

"Take a week off and think about what kind of workshops or activity programs you would like to coordinate, I promise, I'll also think of options and we can structure together, organize your schedule so that you're satisfied with your career and stay with us." He gives me such a gentle smile that I can't help but nod my head in agreement.