Burn

Over and over again they go down the same road, and on that road, they go hard.  Their love is aggressive, and their hate is even more aggressive.  Her kiss is almost as sharp as the sting of her words in his ears when she’s shouting at him for something he did that she didn’t like and his hands are strong against her wrists when he pins her to the wall in the very climax of that brutal fight, and with the flip of a switch they put all their energy into the love they almost hate to feel for each other.

Ed isn’t a fighter.  It takes a lot for him to get to the point where he raises his voice, but with her it’s different.  She’s the kind of person that can get him going in all the wrong and right ways.  Together, they’re like a volcano on the verge of eruption, one tipping point away from scaring away the villagers and leaving the town burning.

“You made my fucking lip bleed,” he growled, probing it with his tongue just before he pressed his thumb to the spot.

“Yeah well you left a bruise on my hip the last time we fucked,” she shot right back, pulling her blonde hair up into a messy bun.

Ed went to the mirror just above the dresser in their shared bedroom, poking his swollen bloody lip.  It was a result of a fire-fueled kiss she brought down on his mouth after a petty little argument that escalated just like all the others.  He could see her over his shoulder and though he felt a pit in his stomach at the very sight of her, he couldn’t bring his blue eyes anywhere else.  It’d been six months and he didn’t know how.  He didn’t know how the two of them lasted as long as they had.

He caught her flirting with someone else a few days back, and as much as he wanted it to be the reason for the end of what they had, or what they didn’t have, he couldn’t bring himself to let her go.

“I don’t know what the fuck we’re doing,” Ed sighed, turning to lean his back against the dresser.  He tucked his bitten bottom lip between his teeth, still reaching up to dab at the small wound.

“You know what we’re doing, Ed,” she plopped down against the bed, reaching toward the nightstand to pluck a cigarette from the pack, “don’t be stupid,” she snarled as she shot him a glare, popping the cigarette between her lips and striking a flame from the lighter.

He stayed put for a pause, watching her light up and take a deep drag.  She was so enticing to him then and he couldn’t understand why.  She was gorgeous, that much he knew was obvious, with her elbow-length blonde hair in waves and caramel streaks running through it, and eyes that matched his, ice cold and bright blue.  She had warm inviting features, but it was the way she came across as being someone who didn’t take anything from anyone, and who could practically kill a man with her own manicured fingers that drew him to her in the beginning.

She was sat at a bar the night they met, one leg crossed over the other in a dress colored the same shade as her fierce red lips.  The length alone sent his eyes darting to where he knew he shouldn’t be looking, the end of the hem hardly reaching her mid-thigh when she sat.  Amongst his friends at the bar they each spat that she was far out of his league, but even so, he trotted over with his heart racing, going over the different scenarios in his head with each step closer he took.  With a wink over his shoulder toward his table of friends, he leaned against the bar a few feet away from where she sat, every so often trailing his eyes to her and quickly diverting them when she glanced up.  She laughed into her glass at his innocence when she caught him admiring her. 

Without another thought she threw back the last of her drink and stood from the barstool, sending a shocking zing up Ed’s spine when she leaned up against his left side. 

"Follow me," she whispered in his ear, the warmth of her breath making him swallow back his own as he watched her trail off toward the back of the bar.  His eyes were fixed on her hips, the alcohol in his bloodstream shutting out every sensible thought from his mind.