Backstage

Scenario: Ed has been a constant in your life for the past 3 years. long distance relationships are hard, so when Stuart flies you out to one of Ed’s shows in the UK, Ed’s more than pleasantly surprised to see you.

I grew up attending concerts. The first concert I ever went to was a Simple Plan concert, and my parents drove my best friend and I 2 hours away from home just to attend. Something about the atmosphere got me hooked. You’re packed in a crowd full of people you don’t know, but there is a sense of camaraderie amongst you. You all know the words to the songs, everyone knows when to clap and when to put the lighters up. It’s not about the fact that you’re up against someone you don’t know, sweating, getting pushed around. It’s about losing yourself in the music.

            At 22, the days of being smashed up against other people are over, and I find myself enjoying shows from side stage, out of view.  The first time I saw Ed play, I was 19. My college roommate drug me along to his show, and made me fight our way up front. It was incredible. He’s an incredible performer. I was so into his music that I took the time to stand outside the venue after the show, to tell him that he had made a new fan that night. Being the last two people in line, my roommate and I ended up hanging out with Ed longer than expected, and by the time I had left, I had not only walked away with an autographed CD (which to this day, I still have) but I also left with a phone number and a potential date with the guy everyone refers to as the Ginger Jesus. Let’s just say I drove a couple of hours the next day to get to know him, and to grab some food. He became a constant in my life for the majority of my summer, to the point where I’d take road trips to see his shows, and if I couldn’t make it by car, he’d fly me out. 3 years later, I’m still the object of his current affection, and while we rely mostly on a long distance relationship, I’m currently fresh out of college and ready to spend my summer watching him perform.

            “Best seat in the house right?” Stuart comes up behind me as I stand on side stage, watching Ed perform “This City”

            “Yes!” I nod, smiling, “thanks so much for getting me in tonight!”

            “he doesn’t have any idea you’re here” he chuckles, “Mike will say something to him whenever they play the song together”

            “Awesome, thanks” I reply, turning my attention back to Ed.

He’s so into performing, it’s unreal. And he plays such a good set. He doesn’t waste time telling pointless stories. He gives the crowd what they want and when they want it and he leaves everyone with the idea that it’s the best show he’s ever played.

            Three songs have passed by the time Mike is set to go back out.

            “Good seeing you” His hand squeezes my shoulder, “I won’t get him too worked up, don’t worry”

            “Thanks Mike” I nod, as Ed introduces him onstage.

I watch as he walks out on stage, pulling Ed off to the side. I see his lips move, and with a nod of his head, Ed’s eyes move from Mike over to me. A look of pleasant surprise washes over his face as I wave, smiling.

            “Can you all bare with me for two seconds?” Ed speaks into the microphone, addressing the crowd, “my girlfriend showed up all the way from the US to be here tonight. And I feel like I should be a gentleman and say hello.”

            He sets his guitar down gently on the stage before moving towards me at an alarming rate,

            “Hi” barely passes over his lips before he’s in front of me, an arm wrapped around my waist, his other hand on the side of my face, pulling me into him for a kiss that makes my heart melt. I push my hands against his chest, ending the kiss.