Burn

"Ok what about him?" My friend, Cassie, said, desperately trying to get me to talk to a guy-any guy here.

"Ew no. This party’s lame and I have to study can we just go" I whined. I felt out of place, which was partly due to the fact that my friend dressed me like a high class prostitute.

"NO! Please this is my first college party just pick a guy please. Oh, what about him?"

"Ed? No. No! Absolutely not!" I looked at her like she was insane.

"Why? He’s been staring at you"

"Whatever. Ed he- he has every girl wrapped around his finger when really he’s just a regular frat boy. He parties, he drinks, he smokes, and he screws-"

She laughed, “Oh a bad boy huh? Sounds like your type”

"No one says ‘bad boy’ anymore…and he is not my-"

"Look he’s going outside alone. Ugh, just go over there. Have some fun!" She called to me as she pushed me out the door.

I enjoyed it outside a lot better. It was quiet.

Ed found a spot away from everyone as he smoked his cigarette. I walked up next to him, trying to mask my disgust for the smell. I didn’t want to explain to Cassie exactly how well I knew Ed, or why I was so reluctant to talk to him.

"Hey" I tried to say casually.

He smirked, but didn’t look at me, “Hey”

"So…"

'Your friend send you out here?” I wish he would stop smirking

"No? …Maybe. Why?"

He flicked the cigarette, “I thought you hated me”

"I do-"

"And yet here you are" He turned to me, coldly.

"You’re right. Bye"

He grabbed my arm and spun me back around. “Are we really going to do this again. Remember you were the one who-“

"Ed are you coming back inside" Some girl, probably one from the sorority that was hosting, was calling out to Ed. She glared at me then continued, "We’re about to do body shots"

"No thank you" He said keeping his eyes focused on me, still holding my hand

"Who was that?" I asked annoyed; she seemed like his usual type

"Why does it matter when I’m here with you….I missed you" He said while entwining his fingers in mine

"I bet you did. Is that why you’re still sleeping with every girl on campus?" I said, pulling my hand away

"You were the one who told me to pretend we never happened"

We stared at each other for awhile. Admittedly, I did tell him to pretend we never happened, so I really didn’t have much to argue.

He smirked…AGAIN, and lit another cigarette. “I never told anyone we slept together. I kept my promise. No one knows.” He turned away from me, facing forward

"Thanks I guess" I mumbled

"You know you’re kind of a cliche" He laughed

"Oh I’m a cliche?"

"Yeah. A good girl, nerdy girl, falls in love bad boy-"

"I’m not nerdy….and I don’t love you! We spent one weekend together"

"You are kind of nerdy. It’s cute"

"Stop that"

"Hey you wanna get out of here" He said, blowing out smoke.