Part 16: you're the one i want to go through time with

18+ WARNING MINORS DNI

He has nightmares all night, and into the morning. They keep Alice awake - his soft groans and whimpers pull her from sleep. She doesn't mind. She's worried about him. Alice watches him like a hawk, wiping the sweat off of his brow and placing gentle kisses on the apples of his cheeks. He has moments of peace, maybe twenty or thirty minutes at a time where he looks utterly serene.

And then terror overtakes him once more. It breaks her heart, and it enrages her to watch him in this much agony. This must have been every night when he was back at Hydra, and nobody cared enough to do a goddamn thing. They let him scream, thrash, and wake up in a pool of icy sweat.

Alice isn't going to let him go through this anymore.

By morning, the darker bruises on his face have already begun to heal. Part of the serum, she would imagine. His broken nose seems to have straightened back out overnight and the dark purple around his eyes has faded to a greenish yellow. The deep cut on his lip is now shallow. Regardless, he's still beautiful, but his face is twisted in agony from the nightmares.

Not even the sunlight can drive away the demons in his head. His dreams are quieter, but his body twitches and Alice feels his muscles clench as she presses her body to his in an effort to silently comfort him. He holds onto her, his eyelids fluttering. She can see his eyes actually flitting back and forth behind the thin layer of skin. He's terrified, breath hitching and shuddering; soft gasps echoing through the room. Alice runs her hand up and down his hulking bicep. The friction from her skin wakes him up. His eyes pop open, terrified and unsure at first. Then, they narrow, and become cold.

It's him.

"It's okay," she whispers. "Bucky? It's me. Alice."

She's not about to recreate what happened that first night at his apartment. His mouth twitches and fear settles into the lines on his face. Alice's heart is hammering against her ribcage, but she remains calm, breathing deeply. Eventually he breathes with her.

"Your name is James Buchanan Barnes. You were born March 10, 1917. We met at Empire. Remember?" No response. She keeps going. "My name is Alice. You're in my house, in my bed." She doesn't make any movements to stroke his face, but she can see the warmth flashing in his eyes. He's struggling to recognize her. "Your favorite book is the Hobbit, you love science fiction books and pizza." She pauses and smiles at him, keeping her voice soft. She refuses to show him any fear. "You call me kitten and doll."

He blinks, his face softening. His muscles relax and he takes in a huge breath, letting it out slowly. Finally, he speaks, his voice raspy and low from sleep. It sounds like it's the first time he's spoken in years.

"Alice."

She giggles, muscles flooded with relief. Gingerly, she presses the tip of her nose against his.

"There you are, my darling."

He breathes heavily.

"I had another dream -- about the words."

"I know," she whispers. "I saw him."

His eyes flash with worry.

"Did I hurt you?"

"No. Do you remember what I said to you?"

"You said my full name, your name... you said I called you kitten and doll." He chuckles. "I think that might have been what did it."

Bucky closes his eyes again and groans, rolling onto his back and covering his face with his hands.

"I'm exhausted."