Part 46: clarity

18+ WARNING MINORS DNI

That night after an incredible dinner of sushi and an enormous chocolate cake that Sapphire and Sam baked for them to send them off, Bucky and Alice load their bags and Alpine and her little carrier into the Quinjet. Well, Bucky and Steve insist on loading Alice's suitcases in while she stands by watching, shaking her head with a smile on her face. They fight over who gets to take the heavier bag. They're so damn competitive.

"She's my girlfriend!"

"I'm trying to help, Buck!"

He snatches the bag out of Steve's hand.

"It's my job."

It occurs to her that no one has found the money in their duffel bags. Bucky seems content to keep it a secret. He told her if they needed more, there were more Hydra vaults in Romania that he could break into. He could support them for the rest of their lives if need be. She wouldn't have to lift a finger. She wants to, but Bucky is content to pay for her every want and need while she danced and puttered around the house. The problem is, Alice just isn't a homebody type. This is the longest she's been unemployed since she was a teenager. She wants to open that ballet studio in Romania. She would be so good at it.

They give almost everyone a round of hugs - Tony claims he doesn't do the "touching thing", but he does give Alice a gentle squeeze on the shoulder.

"You're alright, kid."

She chuckles.

"Thanks, Tony."

Pepper gives Bucky a kiss on the cheek and he blushes. Nat gives Alice a big hug, rubbing her back. So does Bruce. They both have tears in their eyes and they're making Alice cry, which she fucking hates. She decided to wear mascara today. Apparently that was a fucking mistake.

Everyone is treating this like it's some kind of permanent thing, but sometimes that's just what happens when you spend months around the same people every day. Alice has really come to see the Avengers as a family. It's hard to imagine leaving permanently. She wonders if Bucky feels the same, or if he's just dying to get to Romania so that they can start the rest of their lives.

They haven't talked any more about the possibility of him becoming an Avenger. Whenever she brought the topic up, he changed the subject. So, Alice dropped it. She doesn't think it's a good idea. He needs a break from battles. They've obliterated him, mind, body, and soul. There are plenty of ways for him to do some good in the world without having to fight.

As they're saying their goodbyes, she stops in front of Sam. He wraps his strong arms around her and rocks her back and forth.

"He's gonna be okay."

"I know. Thank you for everything."

"Don't you go making this sound like a goodbye, Alice. I'm gonna be there annoying the both of you every month."

She giggles.

"I can't wait."

Sapphire is the last to hug her, flinging her arms around her best friend and sniffling.

"I love you, Ali."

"I love you too."

"We'll visit." Her eyes glisten with tears.

"Sapphire, this isn't goodbye."

"I know. I just..." she pulls back and sniffles. "I just fucking love you."