Part 41: shallows

18+ WARNING MINORS DNI

Twenty minutes feels like twenty years. Sapphire is yammering away, pouring herself another mimosa while Bucky looks on, the alcohol making his cheeks flush for a few minutes before his body metabolizes it and he's back to normal. Sapphire tells another story about the club. She knocked out a customer with her heel again after he tried to shove his hands down her underwear during a private dance. Sapphire does that a lot. Her pleasers are her favorite weapon. Bucky watches with a slightly amused expression as Sapphire pantomimes the act.

Alice can barely concentrate. She's fake laughing and fake smiling at Sapphire's story. Bucky can tell it's all bullshit. He told her once that his training meant that he could read pretty much anyone like a book, sense their weaknesses, sometimes even what they were thinking about. Sapphire has no idea how scared she actually is, but Bucky does. He wraps an arm around Alice's shoulder and holds her close, kissing the shell of her ear as Sapphire talks.

"It's okay," he breathes.

By this point, Alice lets him protect her. It gives him a sense of autonomy back, like he's doing something good in the world. Bucky once told her that's all he ever wanted - to help. The trajectory of his life didn't let him do that. So, he's making up for lost time. She nuzzles into him, her heart still beating like a drum. Her nerves are humming with dread until Sam comes back into the lounge, dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. Bucky leans over to her, smiling.

"He put cologne on," he whispers.

"You can smell that?"

He nods and grins proudly.

"What are you guys talking about?" Sapphire asks loudly. She's a little more drunk.

"Yeah," Sam replies as he sits down next to her. "I'm curious too."

"Little whisper party over there," Sapphire teases.

"Nothing," Alice replies. She extends her leg and gently kicks Sapphire. "Mind your business."

"I've never minded by business a day in my damn life, and you know it," Sapphire retorts.

Sam chuckles and she turns her head to look at him.

"You like that, huh?"

"I do. You're funny."

"Funniest person I know," Sapphire replies.

"I don't think you're allowed to say that about yourself," Sam laughs as he pours himself a mimosa.

"Why not? It's called having self-esteem."

Sam grins.

"Well, having self-esteem is important."

"She's got it in spades," Alice quips, tossing her best friend a wink.

There's a long, awkward silence. Alice notices that Sam is staring at her, raising his eyebrows. Dread fills her stomach and she raises a brow, trying to be playful, but it doesn't work. She knows exactly what Sam is about to ask, she's just bracing herself with trying to come up with a good enough answer.

"I didn't tell Steve," he says softly. "But I am curious about a lot of stuff."

Sapphire reaches out and grasps his chin, turning him to face her. The action gives Alice butterflies. Sapphire is the most confident person Alice has ever met, and her job means that she's not afraid to intimidate men. Ever. She also never lets them intimidate her. Bucky blushes, biting back a smile as he watches them. He pulls Alice a little closer while Sapphire cocks her head.