Chapter 1 - The Playboy

"So let me get this straight! It's that or be cut off!" Ransom fumed as his eyes bore into his grandfathers, who sat calmly behind the desk in the study, allowing his grandson to have his hissy fit.

Of course Richard and Linda Drysdale had agreed that Ransom needed to calm down his playboy ways. The privileged little bastard hadn't worked a day in his life and spent most of his time drinking and spending money like water. It was time to lay down the ground rules.

Get married or get out.

"All dad is saying is that in order for you to keep your inheritance, you've gotta get married." Linda now stepped in, sensing the tension beginning to rise dramatically. Whether it was enough to diffuse the situation? That was anybody's guess. Both men could blow hot and cold – her son especially.

Harlan's temperament was still as cool as a cucumber, and that annoyed Ransom even more. "You don't get to make that decision for me!" he now fired back at the three of them.

"We do if it means you wanting to keep your money – which I suspect that you do." Harlan mused. He knew the boy all too well to know that he'd rather keep the money that simply throw it all away. Not that he wasn't doing so already. He hoped that Ransom wasn't stupid and would choose the sensible option.

Who knew? Perhaps it would calm his ways and change him for the better. Plus, the agreement he'd made with the parents of the girl in question? Well...they would be good for one another in the long run.

"Let me guess, you've already picked her out and she's all ready and waiting at the end of the aisle?" Ransom argued. "Seriously what the hell! This is messed up!"

"Listen you little shit, if you want your money, then you'll suck it up and marry her!" Richard spat, having remained silent for the duration of the conversation/argument. Usually it was Linda that took the wheel, but she'd already had her say.

"Well if you tell me who she is then I can give you a damn answer!" Ransom was pissed that everything was so cloak and dagger. Not just the situation itself but the girl they'd got lined up to be his wife.

Ransom didn't do commitment. As far as he was concerned the marriage would be a complete failure on his grandfather's part. He wasn't about to change his lifestyle or his ways so his 'wife' would have to just accept that.

"Effie Rattenberry." Harlan now revealed.

Ransom stared hard at him. "Effie Rattenberry? Oh you've gotta be shitting me!"

Effie Rattenberry was the brattiest socialite to ever grace Boston. The Rattenberry's had made their money in the shipping industry and of course their daughter was basking in the fruits of their labour. Ransom hadn't crossed paths with her which was rare, but he'd been present at one of Harlan's parties where her parents had also been invited.

No. No way would he ever be able to stand her, let alone live with her. This was more a punishment on his part.

"Cards are on the table Ransom." Harlan told him with a slight smile that could only be described as victorious. "Marry the girl and you get to keep your lifestyle, your inheritance...or you don't and are cut off completely."

Ransom looked from his grandfather to his parents. There were ways he could get out of this, he was sure of that, however in order to do it he'd have to marry. The cogs in his mind were working. Marry her, ignore her, keep the money and drive her to asking for a divorce in the end. If he played his cards right then they wouldn't last a year.

"Fine..." he glared and then stormed out of the study, slamming the front door causing the echo to sound all through the entrance hall.

Harlan sat back satisfied with the outcome. He didn't want to cut Ransom off but as his spending habits had become somewhat out of control, it was time to tame the beast (so to speak) and if there was anyone that would be a challenge for Ransom – then it was Effie Rattenberry.

He looked at his daughter and son in law. "And that? That is how you do it."

"Don't be surprised if he doesn't play ball dad."

"Oh he knows what's at stake if he doesn't."