Chapter 15 - The Thrombey Thanksgiving (Pt 1)

"Are you wearing my scarf!" Effie asked as she looked over at Ransom as they were on their way to Harlan's estate. "I've been looking for that for the last couple of days."

"What's yours is mine, isn't that what you said yesterday when you took my sweater...again." He called her out.

"Well if you let me put the central heating on more often then I wouldn't have to wear it. It's not like we can't afford the bills."

"Ooooor you could just buy your own sweater."

She rolled her eyes. "No way." and accepted that he'd claimed the scarf as his.

"I can't believe we have to attend this crap." Ransom muttered as they pulled up outside the Thrombey home. "And I betcha it'll all kick off as soon as we walk through the door."

Effie looked over at him. "Isn't that what we want to achieve?" her sly look made him smile in the same manner.

"And what were you thinking?" she had a plan forming in that little cunning mind of hers, and he wanted to know right down to the last detail. "Because I know you're all for pissing my family off as much as I am."

She tapped her nose. "Now that would be telling, but if your mother catches us then it'll make for a better impact"

Oh yes. Linda's feelings towards her were fully known. Effie couldn't win. She'd been forced to marry Ransom with her dearest mother in law thinking it would make them miserable and grow the hell up, but the fact that it had backfired had annoyed everyone.

It was time to wreck hell and turn the tables of suffering onto everyone else. However the couple's presence would be enough to achieve that.

"I'm sure that whatever we do she'll be pissed. Even just breathing would be enough."

"Oh I plan on doing more than breathing darling."

Oh hell...

Ransom got out and fought the dogs from his ankles as they came running out barking. He absolutely hated these hounds, and they felt the same way about him, so it seemed. "Oh would you just get the hell off! OFF! Get off!"

Effie let out a whistle and the dogs ran over to her as she crouched down to pet them. "Play nice boys, he's in a bad enough mood as it is." She smirked to the dogs who turned to run off into the woods.

"You shouldn't encourage them." Ransom grunted as his wife stood up.

"They're just dogs?"

"They're a pain the ass."

Effie's dry look spoke volumes, "I'm sure they think you are as well."

"Whatever, let's just go and get this over with."

"You're in such a great mood today." She huffed and followed after him as he strolled into the house, greeting Fran as she walked out with a tray of drinks. "Hey Franny, you're looking run off your feet."

Effie rolled her eyes. He was starting early. Fran simply glared and walked into the living room as they headed in after her.

"Ah! There you are, late as always." Richard looked his son up and down with a less than impressed look. It was only by an hour, and they'd had better things to do than get there at the desired arrival time. His attention then turned to Effie. "Effie. Nice to see you." He nodded, looking her up and down probably with disapproval.

"It's always nice to see me." She replied, taking a glass of wine from Fran's tray. "Thank you Fran." And then saw Meg beckoning her over. "Hi Meg.