Chapter 6 - Cordially Invited

Effie stared at herself in the mirror looking back at her reflection. She was probably the only bride to be gloomy on her wedding day. In the end she'd had to choose a dress under the strict instruction of her mother and Linda, and so she'd ended up choosing a vintage bohemian style dress that showed her figure but at the same time didn't make her feel restricted. If it came down to her running she needed it to be as free flowing as possible.

She wouldn't though. She couldn't.

If she ran then that was that. She'd be out of the house, no money, no job. Although saying two little words seemed easy enough for anyone else, for her? They were the dreaded words that would seal her future.

I do.

Already Walt had been chiding her, calling her Mrs Drysdale. Effie wanted nothing more than to punch him in the face, but he really wasn't worth that. She had to play the game than be played. Effie had learnt that much at a very young age. She liked winning. She always had the last say, the last laugh. She was a winner, and she was damn well going to show Ransom, Walt, and the entire family that she was a force to be reckoned with.

There was a knock at the door and Harrison poked his head around. "Safe to come in?" he asked.

"What were you expecting? To find me swinging from the chandelier?"

Harrison sighed and then took her in. "You look beautiful."

"I always look beautiful." She decided to hide her sadness with some arrogance, and pushed some hair back over her shoulder.

"Five minutes. You ready?" he asked.

"Not really." She admitted. "Have they chained Ransom to the alter? If anyone's going to run first out of the both of us then it'll be him."

Harrison chuckled. "No, no – but he's here and on time so that itself is a miracle."

"Ransom Drysdale isn't late to his own wedding? Is he high?" Effie looked a little stunned. Ransom was always 'fashionably late' and probably would be to his own funeral.

"It wouldn't surprise me."

Well that was something and soon the wedding planner, that Helen and Linda had hired, entered the bridal suite. "Ok, we're all set. Let's goooo" She gave a rather enthusiastic thumbs up. This woman really needed to get out more, or get married herself.

"Yeah, let's just get this over with, and move on." Effie huffed, her mood souring even more now that the time had come around.

Just two words. That was all it was...

The ceremony had gone without a hitch (however both Ransom and Effie had hoped that someone would've stood up to oppose the marriage – they didn't) and Walt had punched the air in glee as the pair were announced as the new Mr and Mrs Drysdale.

"FINALLY! THE TWO BRATS ARE COMMITTED! YOU HEAR THAT NANA!" he grinned and yelled to Great Nana who was in between him and Harlan. "NANA!"

The reception was back at the Thrombey estate, with Fran and the help preparing and putting up last minute décor in the marquee along with organising the caterers while the ceremony was happening. The car journey back had been spent in silence. Ransom looking out of one window while Effie had looked out of the other.

"Well..." Ransom finally broke the silence between them. "They finally got what they wanted..."

Effie nodded. "They sure did..." and discreetly glanced across at him. "I'm surprised you even showed up, and on time?"