Chapter 27 - The Perfect Crime

The vibration of the phone on the kitchen counter alerted Effie while she sat eating breakfast. Ransom was still asleep and with Adeline nice and content after being fed, she was finally getting some time to herself.

She looked at the Caller ID.

Richard?

He never called her.

Something didn't seem right though, perhaps he and Ransom had exchanged words the previous evening and he was calling to try and smooth things over? Picking up the phone she slid her thumb across to answer the call. "Hello daddy in law." she mused.

"Effie...hi, erm – is Ransom there? He's not answering his phone." Richard asked. Immediately from his tone, Effie could tell something was wrong.

"He's asle..." she was cut off by Ransom appearing in the kitchen, looking at the missed calls on his phone. "Hold on." She looked over at him and held out her phone. "It's your father."

Ransom had the same quizzical look as she did, but answered it all the same. "Yeah?"

"Ransom..."

"What?" he asked.

"I...err...well I have some bad news..." Richard stumbled over his words.

Ransom knew exactly what was coming, but proceeded to show some ignorance as he spoke to him. "What?"

"It's Harlan...he's dead..."

Ransom blinked but carried on with his acting. "Huh? No he's not, the old man was fine last night..."

"Fran found him in the attic room this morning. His throat was slit – they're calling suicide."

Hold on. That wasn't how it was supposed to have gone?

Damnit. The fucking dogs had foiled his plan by barking when he'd returned. The vials were still there, and he still had the antidote hidden within his coat pocket. Now instead of Marta being found guilty of killing her employer, she was still in the clear? And she'd be getting the money...

"Shit..." he said out loud, and the realised he was still on the phone.

It worked though. Richard seemed to think that his answer was to the news. "I know. Look I'll let you know what's happening but as you an imagine your mother's distraught.  I know you and Harlan blew hot and cold but..."

"Dad." Ransom cut him off. He had to think about this. "I've gotta go..." and hung up. Richard would only see it as 'shock' at his grandfather's demise. But he could take it as he wanted. Either way the police would be at the house, and he wouldn't have any access.

Effie frowned. "Everything ok?"

He shook his head. He'd have to lie to her too, but it would be easy enough. There was still a way he could fix this. "No...Harlan's dead..."

"What!" she almost dropped her spoon. "How? Why?"

"They're saying its suicide...his throat was slit." If anyone could fool his wife, then it was him. "Geez...he wouldn't slit his own throat. I know he wouldn't."

Effie looked at him. "Ransom, what are you saying?"

"He wouldn't have committed suicide Eff!" he snapped and then apologised. "Sorry...I'm just a little confused by it all." 

More like frustrated at his own stupidity but what the hell.

Effie didn't know what to say, she was shocked by what she'd just heard. It didn't add up, but they couldn't think of that now.