Chapter 12 - Case of the Ex

"You quite finished admiring yourself?" Ransom asked as Effie snapped as few more selfies.

"It's for Instagram?"

Yeah, like that justified anything.

They'd arrived in the Hamptons after a good four hour drive. Ransom had demanded they take the Beamer and none of that helicopter crap like some of the other people they knew were arriving by. He'd not been here for almost a good ten years. 

The home belonged to Harlan who'd brought it years ago as some kind of 'writer's retreat', but as the Hamptons became more popular over the years he'd not returned, citing that he much preferred the peace and quiet of home. Linda and Richard usually came down for a summer or weekend break, so it wasn't like the place was gathering dust. Ransom however? It wasn't really his scene anymore, but given that Carter hadn't held a Hamptons party in so long, it was only right he attended.

He watched as Effie uploaded one of the thousands of selfies she'd snapped of herself and then noted the revulsion on her face. "What?"

"Your cousin just friend requested me – the political little internet troll?" she now showed him Jacob's Instagram page.

"Wow...kid certainly is into his animals...and Trump..."

"Meg told me he gets off to pictures of dead deer."

Now it was Ransom's turn to make the face. "Doesn't surprise me." He'd never exactly been close with either Meg or Jacob – or any of the family if anything. Only Harlan was tolerable and that was to a certain extent. The pair frequently played Go when they got together, and both were rather competitive when it came to the game.

They walked in and got settled, Effie looking around the house. Surprisingly her family didn't have their own home here, no matter how many times her mother had mentioned it to her father. She'd only been to the Hamptons twice in her teens and it had been for the summer with Maddison's family. She had to admit those were the best summers. "This has Harlan written all over it." She smirked.

"You got that right." Ransom nodded in agreement. His grandfather liked nothing more than peace and tranquillity, not that he ever got it with the family . "Carter says party starts at 7."

Effie looked at her watch. "We have hours yet."

"More time for you to take another hundred selfies then."

She ignored the tongue in cheek comment and opened the doors that led out to the terrace and garden. Secluded. Quiet. No doubt Harlan had penned many a plot or novel here. Effie made a mental note to ask him. The pool had been prepared before their arrival, so she now announced she was going to change and take a dip. Ransom was more than happy to just chill with a beer on one of the loungers. They'd hired some help for the weekend, and they were currently somewhere in the house.

His eyes almost fell out when Effie returned outside some time later. The swimsuit seemingly just as revealing as the damn nightwear she'd taunted his mother with the other morning.

It was official. He needed Jesus.

Watching her prep a lounger, his gaze lingered up and down her back, taking in every curve of her body that appeared perfect in the eyes of others. Ransom wasn't too sure of his own thoughts currently. Now he realised she was looking back at him. "You alright over there?"

He nodded and managed to get out "never better." That didn't sound too convincing, but she didn't seem to notice and got in, doing a few laps and then swimming up to the side of the pool where his lounger was. "Let me guess...not a pool guy?"

"Not as such." He admitted, trying hard not to look at her chest. "To be honest I prefer the lake house. More secluded and chilled. Nothing like this place. It's nice in the winter."