Chapter 3 - The Engagement Party

"Smile asshole it's your engagement party." Walt Thrombey clapped Ransom on the back and looked smug. "Y'know of all the things I never thought you'd agree to? This? Well...this certainly is the cherry on top of the cake."

No one was having a better time than he was. Seeing Ransom's pain was somewhat satisfying. He'd been a brat long enough, milking Harlan of money. Time for Just desserts.

"Up your ass Walt." Ransom glared and went over to the mini bar, cracking open the bottle of whiskey and drinking from the bottle. Glasses were overrated.

Linda sidled up to her son, "Now they should be here any minute." And began brushing the invisible dust from his sweater. "You could've at least made an effort with what your wearing. I mean look at it!" she fingered the holes of his sweater with a sigh.

"I really don't think that Effie Rattenberry is gonna care about a sweater mom. She's gonna be far too interested in herself."

The sound of footsteps across the floor was enough to make Linda turn and then nudge ransom. "Oh! Here they are – Helen! Hiiiiiii!" she waved and breezed off to speak to them. Not hearing her son now mutter about how he'd rather stick pins in his eyes than meet his in laws to be.

"Here she is!" Linda now pushed a slim (and rather angry looking) brunette in front of him. "Effie this is Ransom, Ransom..."

"I know who she is mom." He interrupted the introduction and took another swig of whiskey. "You've spoken of no one else but her for the last week." 

Effie this, weddings that – geez it was enough to make him throw up.

Effie now looked him up and down with some disgust, "I'd say it's a pleasure, but you really don't sum that word up."

"Likewise." Ransom's jaw clenched

"Well..." Linda now cut in. "I'm just gonna see if Nana needs anything, I'll leave you two to talk..." and slipped away once more.

Effie watched her future mother in law make a hasty exit and sipped her wine. Harlan's finest, and boy was she going to need a hell of a lot of it. "There's a hole in your sweater." She pointed out, knowing full well that it would spark a reaction.

"Actually there's three, but I suppose you don't take much notice of anyone and anything other than yourself?" he replied coolly.

She snorted at this. "You're one to talk, you're just as much of a man whore" and turned to survey exactly who was at the party.

Walt, Richard, Joni (that woman would be receiving a punch in the face if she tried to get Effie to go on some shitty spiritual retreat or special skincare diet) and a few more faces who she didn't care for. Her parents had been in charge of the invites on their side, which meant none of her friends had been asked. This was supposed to be a 'sophisticated' family affair, not a 'hot girl spring break party' in the words of her father. Effie rolled her eyes, still not believing how the hell she was marrying into this family. They seemed just as dysfunctional as her own.

"Nana! NANA! YOU WANT A DRINK!" Walt was now yelling right at great Nana who was sat in the chair looking more like a lifeless mannequin. She barely spoke a word and simply stared into space. No one knew how old she really was, she probably couldn't even remember herself let alone who all these people were. Effie was pretty sure that Nana saw and heard everything. The 'deaf old lady' thing she had going on seemed like a total charade.

Harlan appeared by her side, causing her to jump slightly. "So...the infamous Effie! We meet at last!" he grinned and extended his hand.

She looked at it and then at him quizzically before shaking it. "Mr Thrombey..."