Chapter 11 - Call It What You Want

"Oh. My. God." Effie laughed as they sped along the highway on their way back home. "Now that...that was just the best case of revenge served cold." They'd certainly managed to convince everyone just how much they 'loved' one another, and Maddison's face couldn't have been any sourer. "Congratulating Madds on her pregnancy? That was inspired. She honestly looked like she was about to burst a nerve."

"Everyone knows she's been screwing around with Carter while her boyfriend's away." Ransom shrugged as he kept his eyes on the road. "It's the worst kept secret at the country club. Besides, this will keep everyone on their toes – wouldn't be surprised if she actually is pregnant at this rate."

Effie smirked and looked across at him. "Good roleplaying as well by the way, the ass grab was certainly unexpected but affective."

As was the kiss...

She wasn't about to bring that up. it had been, different? Surprisingly it had been probably the best kiss she'd had in a long while – and she'd had a lot. Ransom was only a couple of years older than she was, but still – with age came experience, and she was certain he'd had his years' worth of practice.

"You married the right person when it comes to the art of deception." He glanced across with an expression that mirrored her own. "and - I can't believe I'm about to say this, but we seem to make a good team."

She nodded in agreement. "We actually do? It's weird."

"Well we certainly pulled off the 'how to shock your parents' card."

"We did...but we need to up our game. We have a few things to attend soon if I heard your mother say rightly and if I'm not mistaken, the fact that we're apparently in love pisses our parents off..."

It was the best feeling ever.

"And what exactly are you suggesting?"

"I don't know, but I'm sure I can think of something before the next tragic family function we have to go to." She sat back and looked out of the window as the world flashed by with every mile they drove.

Ransom hadn't expected to see his mother casually sat in one of the armchairs when he came down for breakfast the next morning, and Linda Drysdale looked at him questioningly. "Does your housekeeper speak a lick of English?"

"Mother." He sighed in greeting, "And you kinda have to yell for anything to process with her."

"I see...no doubt hired by your wife..." Something in her tone expressed some distaste but Ransom chose to ignore it. He knew why she was here. She wanted answers about them. 

"Paola, you might wanna make my mother a very bitter tasting coffee." He said as the housekeeper nodded. 'Coffee' being the only word she seemed to understand in that sentence. "Speaking of bitterness, yesterday's brunch was very successful with the Rattenberry's."

Linda's eyes narrowed. "What the hell was going on Ransom, you couldn't stand the girl..."

He cut her off. "You're right, I couldn't, but seeing as you threw us together we came to more of an understanding...I mean, you did what was best for both of us right?"

A flicker of annoyance crossed her face, "You can't seriously be in love with that little..."

"I'd be careful what you say next Mom..." he warned. "And yeah, I do love her. So you know what? You're gonna have to get used to the fact that your great plan for us failed." Lying to her was so easy after yesterday's show. 

There were footsteps and Effie's voice echoed down the stairs. "Ransom? Who the hell are you talking to?"

He glanced back at the doorway. "Guess what sweetheart! Mom's sprung a surprise one on us! How lucky are we?"