To Know You

Kristen POV:

From the moment our eyes met, a new wave of nervousness took over my body. I thought I was nervous before, shit that's nothing compared to what I feel now. She's my new boss, how am I supposed to work in these conditions? Someone who I'd kindly helped, was now my boss and somehow, I feel pulled towards her. It confused me. The question of my sexuality was one I'd never raised. It remained in default because I've never felt such a strong attraction to a woman before. Hell, I've never felt any attraction to a woman before.

The way she carried herself was different here. At the bar she seemed as thought she was slightly disappointed, yet it was something she expected, hence she was drowning her sorrows in alcohol. Saturday, although she was hungover, she was fighting through the pain to get home. I don't blame her on that one. She woke up in a strange place and with a weird ass woman in it. I'd rush home too.

Today though......today was different. She seemed like the weight of the world was on her shoulders, but she still carried on as if there wasn't a care in the world. Her entire demeanor was shifted and her power was different. She was dressed in a white button down with a short black skirt, going down to just above her knee. Her legs were laced over with stockings and her hair was down. She was absolutely stunning.

"Breathe Kristen. Breathe" she said, both hands at my sides. At the feel of her touch, my entire body shivered. How the hell was I supposed to work for her, when I can't even be in the same room as her without tensing up and going red. This is going to be a hell pit of a few months.

~

I was sat in Lea's small office, when a soft knock came from the door. Slightly cracking it and poking her head through, she asked,

"Are you ready?"

"Remember when you said that I'd get through this easier than I thought?" I began, as she nodded her head. "That was the biggest lie I've heard, since I was 9 when my mother took my $10, saying she'd give it back."

Laughing at my reference and walking into the room completely, she comes over to the desk and pulls up a chair beside me. 

"Lea usually eats this up in an hour or so" she replied, skimming through what I had left. "Well, I guess that means we're stuck here for a while."

We're what...

"What do you mean?" I question, sitting forward.

"I'll help you finish so we can go for lunch" she smiled, grabbing a pen and half of the remaining stack.

Oh fuck. I'm screwed.

~

We spent about 20 more minutes, finishing up the papers and it was like hell on earth. When I tell you that woman was quick with her hands, I mean it. Not that I was looking, just......she finished faster than I did. And she was so caring, she split my remaining stack in half, after she finished hers and playfully swat me away when I tried to take it back.

We were heading to the car now and her phone was going off the rails. Whoever was trying to get her was clearly desperate, and she just didn't seem to care.
"Whoever it is seems desperate to hear your voice" I blurted out.

Damn you Kristen. You need to shut up.

"Yea, seems so" she scoffed, turning her phone off completely. "So where do you want to go?"

"Uhm.......this may be childish but.....can we go to McDonalds?" I asked, hoping she'd refrain from judging me.

"It's been years since I've eaten McDonalds. I'm taking the opportunity" she smiled.
And with that, we drove off.

The car ride was fairly quiet, and she barely remembered anything on the menu, so I had to order. We sat in the car and ate in silence, until my phone rang. It was the same number from Saturday, claiming to be Michael. I ignored it flat out, and turned my phone off, as Sierra had done earlier.

"So, tell me about yourself. If we're gonna work together, I'm gonna need to know more than 1. your name is Kristen and 2. you're a beautiful woman" she began, perching herself up on her chin using her knuckle; staring into my eyes with a smile. Staring back into her picturesque chestnut brown eyes, I feel my breathe catch in my throat and my face heat up.

I could barely find the words, with her so close to me. I felt my heart pacing in my chest just from how close we were.

She continued to look at me expectantly, sitting back when she realized I wasn't gonna crack on my own.

"How about we don't make eye contact" she suggests, looking forward. "You seem to be uncomfortable under my gaze so I'll look forward while you tell me about yourself"

"Okay....uhm.......well I was born in Argentina, and lived there for a while, but my parents migrated back to my dad's hometown when I was 7. I'm fluent in both English and Spanish, my code switching, must honestly deserve an Oscar, cuz the amount of people that look surprised when I say I'm Argentinian is amazing. My parents split when I was 14, my dad was having an affair with one of my teachers, and I haven't seen him since then. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was 17 and I'm her only child, hence I pay the hospital bills and buy her meds on my own. I was hustling 3 jobs with school and it didn't help when I got pregnant at 18. The moment my boyfriend at the time found out, he fled the country and I couldn't care less to see him again. Throughout my havoc of a life, Lea was always there. Our mothers are really close. Her mom was the first friend my mom made when she got here....she was the only person in our neighbourhood who cared enough to be patient with my mother, because she was still learning English" I say, as I turn to my side to see Sierra looking at me intently.

I haven't told anyone my story like that before... it felt refreshing to be around someone who made me feel comfortable enough to just....talk.

"You have had quite a time there" she comforts, running her hand through her hair. Placing her hand on my shoulder, she rubbed it gently.

"If you ever need help with anything, you know where my office is" she whispers, giving me a soft smile and with the nod of my head, she smiled brighter.

"Ready to go?" she asked, her hand all ready to shift the gear out of park.

"Back to work" I affirmed, and she drove off.