Chapter 9

Lyle smiled at her smugly.

"What?"

"I am expecting."

"A child? Congratulatio-"

"No!" Lyle intervened in an instant. "I am not expecting a child!"

"Then what are you expecting?"

"My payment for helping you," He gained his composure, recovering from the misunderstanding. He looked at Thellia before continuing his sentence.

"My lady." He looked at her with mischief in his eyes that curved like crescent from his smile.

"Alright," Thellia crossed her arms. "what is it that you want?"

Lyle's smile seems to have gotten wider, as it was matching his delicate face. His eyes shined, glinting cunningly and deft.

"I want you to meet me."

"We're already facing each other."

'This shrew thinks too literally.'

"No, what I meant to say is to meet me when you receive a letter from me."

"Meet you where?"

'If it's just a short meeting, then it would be alright.'

He grinned. "On the balcony. Whenever you receive the letter, you must come within minutes."

"Is that the reward you ask of? It's quite easy..."

His lips curved into a playful smile. "No."

"What?"

"I'll tell you what I want when we meet there, until then."

"You can just speak of what you want right now."

Lyle smiled. "But I do not want to."

"How childish."

"There would be no fun if I just do so."

"So I just have to meet you when I get a letter? Alright."

"Yes, exactly." He smiled.

"My lady is not only beautiful, but also bright." Lyle grins at her.

Thellia blinked to prevent herself from rolling her eyes. And with a forced smile, she spoke.

"Lyle is also bright in a unique way."

The corner of his lips twitched at the way she spoke of it. "Unique?" He asked.

"Yes." Thellia stepped forward, closer to Lyle, before patting his broad shoulder.

"Unique." She repeated.

'And childish at that. I guess it is his playfulness that suggested to do some sort of play.'

'Seriously... with the letters and meeting?'

'What, are we playing lovers?.'

"Then I'll wait for the letter. Until then." Thellia turned around and walked away from him.

'It's fun but cheesy.' Thought Thellia.

The two of them had safely returned to the tavern without running into the guards. Because of Lyle, Thellia had a successful escape.

Lyle watched Thellia's back as she walked away, his eyebrows slowly furrowed. 'Was she insulting me? What did she mean by calling me bright in a unique way?'