Chapter 24

"Brother, why can't you listen to me?" Asked the boy with warm tears brimming his eyes.

"Lyle, it's not that I don't know what happened on your side... That woman's family is too powerful, we can't afford to offend them..." His brother looked at him with pained eyes. The man felt helpless not having the power to help his younger brother.

"But why?" The young boy desperately cried.

"I never did anything wrong..! I'm innocent, brother!"

He was too young to understand the wretchedness of the world.

"Just because her husband is the duke? She thinks she can just go around and get away with everything?"

"Lyle...."

It was the harsh truth. The ones who held the higher power had the frivolous right to trample and ruin the ones lower than them as they pleased. It is just, as the more power they have, the more hideous they become.

"Brother, why am I the one being blamed?" The innocent boy cried.

"I didn't do such thing! I told you, that woman forced a drink on me before I passed out! And then... and then..." His voice trembled.

Lyle, who was young, looked at others without knowing of their dark side. He knew Lyle had no choice but to accept to drink, as even he himself could not refuse a drink from a high ranking person.

"Lyle-"

"When I woke up... that woman was on top me all undressed-" The young boy's voice broke.

"Lyle, I know..." He looked at his younger brother with helpless eyes.

"Whatever they are blaming me for... I wasn't conscious at all brother! That woman took advantage of me... I was helpless!" He cried.

"I know-"

"If you know, then why....!"

"Why am I the one getting blamed for committing such acts I didn't even do? When it was that wretched woman's doing that she forced herself on a young boy!"

"Brother... hicc...."

"Lyle..." The man clasped his brother's frail body in an embrace.

"Brother.... Why do they all stare at me with such eyes? It feels horrible...."

"Is it beyond their thinking? Just because her husband is powerful, they turn a blind eye on the wrong?"

More of his tears began to fall.

The man could do nothing but hold his younger brother for comfort.

"Why can't they believe that I'm innocent, brother..."

"Don't cry anymore, Lyle..."

"Brother... Even now, I can't help but feel disgusted whenever I remember what that woman did to me..." His voice trembled.

"Lyle..."

"Bare with it for now..." He firmly held his brother's frail body. "Once I stabilize my position and power, I will certainly get the justice you deserve."

"Hicc.."

The man bit his lips, he felt helpless in that moment.

"Don't cry anymore..."

"Brother... hicc."

"That woman... she said she'll come back for me..." Lyle croaked.

"Brother, I'm scared." His hands trembled.