ʚ𝟏𝟒ɞ

ʚ𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐚 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐂𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐚𝐝 𝐑𝐮𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫ɞ

(xxx) xxx-xxxx

happy new year doll face <3

read

    Megumi stared, conflicted, at the message on her phone screen, emerald green eyes glued to the words that could only be described as 'flirty' as she reread the text. Normally she would've been freaked out if some random number she didn't know messaged her out of the blue, but with a simple glance over. Megumi knew who the message came from.

    The blonde had conveniently let it slip her mind that she had given a certain strawberry blond her number. The information faded to the inner depths of her mind after receiving no form of contact from him as the weeks passed. But, with the nickname and flirtatious behavior, there was no doubt in her mind that this was the second year she had clumsily bumped into—and unwittingly knocked over—at the school festival, Genji Ken.

    Megumi hugged her legs closer to her chest as she let a tired sigh fall past her chapped lips. Her fingers had long since abandoned her phone's keyboard as she contemplated the best response. It was a simple message, a whole of five words with a total of twenty letters, yet nothing she typed seemed to be right. Either she felt too direct or not direct enough, too dry or overly excited. It was a constant tug of war as she wrestled with her overreactive feelings.

    A basic 'happy new year to you too' would have sufficed in any normal situation. However, Megumi feared she would appear standoffish with such a basic response. But how else would you respond to someone you've only talked to once? Plus, they couldn't have talked for any more than ten minutes before they said goodbyes, so how was she supposed to know how to interact with him without appearing rude?

    He was so loud and outgoing, Megumi recalled. He practically radiated friendliness and possessed a charm that would make any girl swoon. His presence was damn near overwhelming to the poor first year, who was significantly less outgoing. While she often struggled to get a word in during conversations, she could only imagine a conversation with the boy who rivaled the sun when it comes to brightness.

     Megumi's body slumped as she collapsed backward onto her bed and nestled her body closer to the cool sheets beneath her. She hoicked the blanket up and over her head, her phone tumbling to the floor below, but she didn't care.

    She'd deal with it when she woke up.

    "Will all first-years now make their way to the field to begin the long-distance run." The school's sound system crackled as it came to life.

    Megumi quickly picked up her books and school supplies before promptly stuffing them into her backpack, along with her water bottle. She followed after the other girls in her mathematics class to the school's locker rooms, converging with the student mass.