16.

TW: mentions of abuse and homophobia/biphobia + use of homophobic slurs

Penelope.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Dave asked once more as we were about to exit the house.

"Yes. Are you sure you want to do this? Think you can keep your fists under control?" I glanced down to his hands and he let out a chuckle, "I'll manage if that's what you want me to do. I still think this is a bad idea."

I shook my head sternly for the millionth time, "No."

"If you'd just let me go on my own, I c-"

"Dave." I spoke in a low, warning voice, "I said no. I'm doing this. You can't talk me out of this anymore. You don't have to come with me if you don't want to, you know? I could find other people, or I could just go with Louis."

He rolled his eyes, "You know Louis would take any opportunity to piss him off. You don't think he's doing this for you, are you?"

"Of course he's doing this for me," I frowned, "He's my friend! I'm sure pissing Pat off is an added bonus for him though. When was he going to get here?"

Dave glanced at the watch on his wrist, "Any minute now. You said five, right?"

"Mhm." I nodded, "So are you coming with us or what?"

"Of course. I'd never let you do this by yourself." Dave murmured, shaking his head to himself, "I just wish you didn't have to face him."

"I know." I sighed, "But you understand I have to do this, right? I need some of my power back. He can't... He can't just turn me into this small little girl and then leave, thinking that I'm going to leave it like that."

Dave's eyes lit up, "So you do want revenge, huh?"

"Of course I want revenge." I shrugged, "But I'm not lowering myself to his level. I'm going to keep this classy and just retrieve that key, and then I'm out. I just have to appear strong and try to make it seem like I'm okay."

Dave didn't seem convinced as his eyes darted over my face, lingering on the obvious wounds I had. It was only a day after Patrick had been in this house, uninvited. Only a day since he hit me and I fell down the stairs, only a day since I went to the ER with Katie, only a day since Harry showed up in my bedroom and spent the night holding me.

It had only been a few hours since I went to the police station to file for a restraining order.

I knew I didn't look okay. And honestly, I didn't feel okay either. But maybe the more I pretended to be fine, the better I'd feel. And Patrick had something of mine that I desperately needed back to feel safe in my own home.

A key.

To this house.

Of course, I knew that if he really wanted to get inside of here, the last thing that would stop him was a wooden door. It was insane how stupidly safe people felt inside of their houses as if glass was unbreakable and doors were made of steel. They weren't.

But this had turned into more of a mental thing than a physical thing, and if Harry wasn't here to rock me to sleep at night, I knew I'd never close an eye knowing Patrick still had a key.

I exhaled a nervous breath as I took another look at my watch, seeing that it was almost five in the afternoon and Louis would be here any minute. There was no way I was facing Patrick on my own. Louis volunteered to join me, most likely to get back at Patrick. And I wanted Dave there. He was my best friend and offered a lot of mental support that I needed right now.