Chapter 12

After Chris left, I showered and got dressed. I grabbed his now cold coffee and breakfast and took them downstairs to warm up. As I waited I messaged him. >Everything okay?< I saw the message turn to read and three dots appear and disappear a few times before disappearing completely. I sighed, figuring he must have been busy with Mallory or Harrison. A few hours later I heard the front door open as I watched Scott enter, "well just come right in why don't you?"

Scott laughed, "I will. Thank you. How is the birthday girl?" He kissed her on the cheek as he carried stuff into her kitchen.

"I'm great. Thanks."

He looked at her, "great?"

I smiled, "yes." I laughed at his skepticism. "What? It's my birthday and I have a hot boyfriend and great friends." I grabbed his face in my hands, kissing him on the forehead. I heard a knock on the front door. I went to answer it to find Lucas, "speaking of hot boyfriends."

He laughed, "hello birthday girl." He handed her flowers, "these are for you."

"Thank you!" I accepted the flowers as I kissed him on the cheek. I took them to the kitchen as Scott grabbed them.

"I will put those in a vase."

I nodded as I felt Lucas pull me into another room. "What?"

He smirked, "I don't know. You tell me." He looked her up and down, "what's up? There's just something about you today, and not just because it's your birthday. Are you in love? I know it isn't with me."

I laughed. "Fine." I lowered my voice, knowing Scott was a snoop, "I had sex with Chris. Twice. Once this morning. And he told me this morning he saw a divorce attorney this past week."

"What?" Lucas cowered, looking around after yelling, "sorry."

I laughed, shaking my head, "it's fine."

He smiled, "so things are coming together the way they should?"

I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck as he reciprocated the hug, "yes. Finally."

*************************************************

I sighed, entering Gemma's house with Mallory and Harrison, later than everyone else. I saw her smile at me as we entered. She was going to hate me when she found out. I kissed her on the cheek, "I'm so sorry we're a bit late."

Gemma shook her head, "it's fine Chris. Don't worry about it." She watched his face for a minute, pulling him to the side, "what's the matter?"

I groaned, shaking my head, "I'll tell you later. I promise. I just can't right now."

She nodded, smiling again, "okay. No problem." She whispered, "sneak over later?"

I smiled, "I'll try." I saw her smile and nod as she disappeared.

After we sang happy birthday to her, I helped to pass out the cake. I saw Mallory stand up in front of everyone and I felt sick to my stomach. I grabbed her arm, "not here. Not now."

Mallory laughed as everyone started to look at them. "Why not? We're among family, at a celebration. Now is the perfect time."

*********************************************

I watched Chris's face as Mallory stood in front of everyone. I could tell he was upset; he had been upset since he walked in the door. But this was different, my heart sank to my stomach as his eyes locked on mine. They were full of anger and guilt.

"As I was saying! Chris and I found out today that we're having another baby."

It felt like time stopped as I felt all eyes on me and no one said anything.

Mallory looked around the room, "why aren't we more excited?"

I watched Lisa half smile, congratulating her. But my eyes were glued on Chris's as I felt Lucas grab my hand. I pulled it away, running up to my room and slamming the door.

Chris turned to Mallory, "I told you not to do that today. Not everything is always about you!! Fuck!" He started to go after Gemma but Scott stood in front of him, as did Lucas.

Lucas shook his head, "no. You know you're the last person she wants to see right now." Lucas sighed as he climbed the stairs to her room.

I sat on the ground at the end of my bed with my head in my hands. I heard the door open to see Lucas enter the room, kneeling in front of me. He didn't say anything, only wrapped his arms around me as I began to cry.

"I'm so sorry Gemma."

I groaned, knowing I couldn't stay in my room. I stood up, wiping my tears. "I'll be down in a minute, okay?"

Lucas nodded, "of course."

I went to my bathroom, washing my face and reapplying makeup quickly to hopefully help to hide the fact I was just crying.

*******************************************

I watched Lucas come back down from Gemma's room, glaring at me. I followed him into the kitchen where we were alone, "how is she?"

Lucas slammed his hand on the counter, "how do you think she is? She said you were getting a divorce."

I shook my head, "I was! I am!" I lowered my voice, "look, it isn't even confirmed yet. I told her not to say anything until she went to the doctor. I'm not even convinced she is."

Lucas crossed his arms in front of him, "you're playing a dangerous game. She's in love with you and you're messing with her."

"I am not! I have full intentions of getting a divorce. I even told Mallory that this morning." I heard someone enter behind me and I turned to see Gemma. Her eyes were bright green. They were only green when she was crying, "Gem. I.."

She shook her head, "it's fine. I'm happy for you." She hugged him, lowering her voice so only him and Lucas could hear, "don't bother coming over later. Or talking to me in general unless it has to do with Harrison."

I felt like I got punched in the gut as I felt my own eyes welling. I reached for her hand but she pulled it away, "Gemma. Please." I watched her shake her head as she grabbed Lucas's hand, leaving me alone in the kitchen. I heard Scott come in the kitchen, looking at me, "not now Scott."