Chapter Forty-Six

Hey, all! 

A pretty decently timed posting if I do say so myself! I'm not super happy about this chapter, it was super hard to write despite my love for writing villains, but I think it turned out pretty nice. You guys are normally a better judge of my writing than me since I'm so hard on myself, so I look forward to reading your comments. 

Enjoy!

(Y/N)'s POV

Drip. Drip. Drip.

The sounds of water falling slowly, hitting an unknown surface with a solid sound.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Water.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

I started when an ice cold drop of water landed right on my nose, pulling me from a cloudy haze of something resembling consciousness to something more aware.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

My eyes fluttered open, and I was met with the blurry view of something far above me.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

That noise was really starting to get on my nerves.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Tired of this unknown and unwanted noise, I blinked my eyes rapidly, trying to clear my vision.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Although my eyesight did clear marginally, it wasn't nearly as sharp as it should have been. I had a feeling it had to do with the pounding sensation in my head. With my still somewhat blurry vision, I was able to look up and locate the sound of falling water.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Water was falling from jagged cracks in the stone ceiling about what I thought was about ten feet from my head. Slowly taking in the rest of my surroundings, trying not to aggravate the pounding in my head, I realized I was in a small stone room, the dimensions being about 5 by 5, maybe 6 by 6, but that was being generous. There really wasn't much spacein this tiny room. I knew just from looking at it that I was barely going to have room to lie down comfortably. And even if I could stretch out, there was nothing but cold stone surrounding me on all sides, save for the bars creating one wall of the room.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Albeit shaily, I jerked myself to my feet only to find my hands were bound in two separate cuffs, and the chains holding me to the floor were barely 2 feet long, keeping me from standing to my full height. Fear stabbed me right through the heart as I noticed the runes encircling the shackles around my wrist. I tried to call on my magic, but that normal golden light was gone.

"No no no no no," I mumbled under my breath as the reality of the situation began to settle deep into my bones, the dark depths of my mind coming alive. I was alone. I was in a cold room, chained to the floor with absolutely no way out. I pulled at the shackles, desperately trying to escape despite the voice in the back of my mind telling me it was a fruitless endeavor. My effort quickly scraped my wrists raw, blood quickly beginning to drip down my arms, joining the water that still fell from the ceiling.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

My heart seized in my chest as the memories before I had blacked out came rushing back, the implications of where I was at settling in. Every inch of my being was being filled with an uncontrollable, indescribable sort of emotion. I couldn't even properly place it. Some of it was anger, some fear, and there were plenty of other emotions I didn't have the names for. The words of the Dark Elven soldier that I had spit all filled my mind. 'Your husband didn't give as much of a fight as I thought he would.'