The 50th Floor CHP. 7

"So you're saying that by the system standards, it should be possible, right?"

"Yes, there is nothing that would prevent you from attempting it, other than common sense..."

"Hmm...I'm sure with a proper boost though, it should be possible..."

It was January 17, 4 days after the major camp raid that finally allowed us to enter the 50th-floor labyrinth. We had made great time through it, already ¾ of the way up, although that was mostly because of the insanely OP tank despite the absence of a certain fencer.

"You are most welcome to try, however, I will not be held responsible for the aftermath."

"How responsible commander."

Currently, we were in a safe zone in a sort of overhanging balcony that gave us a clear view of the rest of the floor as the sun finished setting. The rest of our raid party including two parties of the KoB and two from the DDA were scattered around further within, resting after we defeated one of the main labyrinth guardians. The labyrinth, which turned out to be the production center of the clockwork soldiers, differed from the other labyrinths we've been through so far.

After the camp fell, what we assumed were the remnants of the army set up in the tower and went on the defensive with a number of powerful commander-type units leading them. The good news was that after clearing them out, they wouldn't respawn, so the usual tension during return trips had become nonexistent. Still, that would likely only last until the boss was defeated, since across the floor the mobs had been replaced with more standard wilderness-type mobs to replace the clockwork army.

Since we had finished up our tasks for the day, we would be starting our return trip soon. In the meantime, I was looking up towards another of the overhanging balconies that were a few floors above us. Like HC said, it was technically possible to either jump up towards it or run across the outer labyrinth walls to it, and if we got enough people to do it we might be able to skip a few floors of the labyrinth entirely, or at least get a pincer attack at the remnants of the clockwork army...

"So, since we're all done here, you don't mind if I go on ahead right? I'd rather get back to town early today."

"I'm certain we'll manage, do be careful on your way back. After all, you wouldn't want another write-up from the vice-commander, correct?"

"Ugh..."

After sorting out the clean-up duties after the field boss, Asuna got on my case about my 'reckless behavior. Admittedly, there was a second or two where I thought I had bit the dust, and I would have completely lost it if the shoe was on the other foot. As a result, I've been trying to make it up to her by acting more 'responsibly', although, on the bright side, she forced even the great HC to approve of the rest of her proposal as soon as the floor was done, so there was a bright side to all of it.

Filled with the sudden desire to get back to the main town, I pulled out a teleport crystal and prepared to say the command when a completely responsible idea popped into my head.

Well, you're only supposed to use these in an emergency, and if I mess up, it would definitely qualify as one right?

Moving towards the far end of the balcony, I prepared to start my sprint as the commander looked at me questioningly.

"Is this sort of action really necessary?"

"Might as well get as much bang for my buck right?"

"I see...tell me Kirito, what do you think of this world or the situation as a whole."

Right as I was calculating my odds of success, my train of thought was completely derailed at the unexpected and even taboo question. Most people didn't talk about this sort of stuff, since the thought of how much we've been through and still have to go through tended to put a damper on the mood. That being said, a lot of people had also found joy in this floating castle, and I knew the number of frontrunners looking forward to exploring the higher floors was by no means small.