New Look, New Home CHP. 4

As we walked towards the far end of the courtyard, Asuna had distinct energy in her steps as she held my hand. I'm not too sure what caused her to change her mind and I wasn't about to be the one that ruined her mood now. That being said-

"So...does this mean we're throwing out that 'professional distance' thing?"

My partner, however she interpreted my innocent comment, thought hard on the rules she had established before looking over to me.

"There's a time and place for everything. Right now is the appropriate time and place, don't you think?"

"Hoh...so even for things like this?"

While she put on a shy expression, I freed my hand and slid it straight across her spine, the silky smooth fabric appearing far too thin for comfort. Yelping at the sudden action, she balled up her fist and went for one of her killer uppercuts. Blocking the two-hit combo, I decided to return the favor she showed me from earlier, finally alleviating her mood. When I pulled away, she pouted briefly before showing me her angelic smile and putting her forehead on my own. It was a good thing we were in a secluded spot in the courtyard because the last thing I wanted was for someone to interrupt us again.

"Sorry about not telling you about this beforehand..."

"Hm? Well, it was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one."

"...You just quoted a movie again, didn't you?"

"Perhaps."

"Hah...I really have to brush up on my knowledge on those things when we get back."

With a fake annoyed smile that showed she was fully enjoying the moment, she returned to my side and we continued to stroll in silence. While it couldn't be called a garden, there were various trees and interesting-looking plants scattered across this side of the DDA's base, along with some training dummies and tables. Scattered lamps were supposed to provide some illumination, but it seemed like they had been turned off so that they wouldn't interrupt the firework show.

"Hey Kirito, shouldn't we be heading back to watch the show? I don't mind seeing it from here, but our view is going to be blocked from this angle."

My esteemed partner was, as always, correct. The fireworks would be launched from a field in front of the castle, and during the party that took place within the base, the DDA had set up countless tables and assigned viewing areas where they could be enjoyed from. It wouldn't be bad to enjoy the show with everyone else but an indescribable emotion was pushing me further away from the group, wanting to enjoy the time just the two of us. Still, it was too much of a waste to just miss out on it, and I had received a 'tip' on where we could find a spot that suited us.

"Don't worry about it, I know just the place. Come on!"

Not that I know how he knew about it.

Shutting down my paranoid thoughts, I led Asuna to the rear wall. Once we got onto the battlements, we walked over to the main building it was attached to, and after some careful maneuvering, we found some makeshift ladders that led up towards the roof of the 5th and highest floor of the DDA's base. While it was nowhere near as tall as the KoB's base, it was still a way up and looked like a large pyramid from afar. Fortunately, we wouldn't take any damage even if we fell, although we wouldn't make it in time to see the fireworks if we did.

"Here it is, just climb up these to the top and you'll have the best view of the entire 56th floor."

"I see..."

Seemingly stuck with indecision, I raised my eyebrow, wondering why Asuna hadn't started climbing. Whatever conclusion she arrived at, she went with the 'cold stare' approach, and I realized that my gentlemanly intentions were interpreted in an ungentlemanly manner. After all, her dress was not something appropriate for climbing, especially with someone underneath her.