Christmas Snowdown CHP. 1

"Party switch in 3...2...1... now!"

As the massive ogre-like creature swung its two-handed battle-ax, the party led by Godfree thrusted their shields together. Although the timing wasn't perfect, the combined force was enough to send the ax back over the mob's head as the other members were sent sliding back. With the opening provided, I dashed forth aiming for its right knee since it had become exposed after our party had destroyed the plating covering it.

Using the 3-hit skill 'Triangular' I went sliding past it as the mob fell towards its side. Completely defenseless, the remainder of my party unleashed their skills across it, and after circling around and using a basic thrust towards the back of its neck, the last of its HP disappeared, its body breaking into polygons a few moments later.

As the guild cheered at our hard-won victory against the 3 mobs we had dispatched, I sheaved my rapier and opened up my map to check our progress. We were on the 13th floor of the labyrinth of the 49th floor. Kirito had already scouted the 14th floor, and based on the scale of each floor so far, we would reach the boss room on the 15th floor within a day or so.

"It's already the 24th...huh?"

Speaking to no one in particular, I looked over the group as they restored their HP using pots and were conversing with one another. We had already reached our quota for the day, so all that was left was the return trip. Tensions were normally high as the countdown to a floor boss fight drew to a close, but considering what we would be facing afterward...

"Vice-commander, everyone is healed up and ready to go."

"Good, then we'll begin the return trip home. Stay sharp and keep an eye out everyone, let's go."

With a roar of approval, my party took the lead as Godfree protected the rear. With the guilds recent gear update due to the currently missing third in command and our recent level-ups, we were well within the safety margin for tackling this floor, as were most of the other clearing guilds as they were grinding harder than ever before, not that it came as a surprise.

After all, by the end of the week at the latest, we would reach the halfway mark of this floating castle, the 50th floor. The floor bosses at every 5th, 10th, and 25th mark were significantly stronger than their counterparts, and based on our experience on the 25th floor that wiped out ⅓ of the clearing force at the time, many were doubting if it was even possible to clear it without similar loses.

The mortality rate of players had dropped exponentially since the 1st month this world began, and ever since the 25th floor, the primary clearing group hadn't lost a single person in any of the boss fights, and the number who were lost during floor clearings weren't even in the double digits. Although we weren't as unified as we were right after the 25th floor, I was confident that history would not repeat itself on the 50th floor. That is if it weren't for what Argo called 'The 2nd wave of clearers'.

"AARGH"

Lost in my thoughts, we had reached the 1st floor of the labyrinth when we heard the blood-curling scream come from a passage leading to a dead end.

"Everyone, prepare for combat! Godfree, get healing crystals ready!"

"Yes ma'am!"

Dashing off as the rest of the group followed, I recalled Kirito's report on this room in particular. It had become a popular hunting spot since it sported 2 groups of mobs that popped frequently. The first 4 were orc-like mobs that used one-handed weapons and shields, while the 2nd was 4 smaller ogre-variants of the mobs we had just faced, specializing in 2-handed weapons. The room was large enough that you could fight one group without aggroing the other, and even in the worst-case scenario, most clearers would be able to handle both of them so long as they kept calm. This information was passed on by Kirito the day the field-boss leading to the labyrinth was cleared, so there was no reason why anyone should be struggling with it now...