The Insane Blade CHP. 2

It was over. After a year of trying to survive in this world, everything was about to end. Because I had been so full of myself, my best friend was gone and soon I would be joining her, all because of a pointless argument over a few healing items. If only I had stayed with the group until we had left the Forest of Wandering she would still be chirping at my side, comforting me, sneaking bites at the food I ordered, and being the best companion anyone could ask for.

But now all of that was gone. The two remaining ape mobs had finished healing up and I can hear them making their way towards me. I never released just how terrifying this world could be until right now. The idea of 'death' never really felt real to me, this was supposed to be a game, after all, a place where we can run around, explore, make friends and have fun, but now...

Even in the darkness, I could see the shadow of one of the apes raise their horrifying weapon overhead, the thing that would take away the rest of my HP, making me disappear from this world, and probably the real one too. Or maybe I'll just wake up and back in my bed, hearing my mom call me down for dinner or needing to take Pina off the bed after she snuck on top and fell asleep under the blankets.

I'm sorry Pina...mom, dad...I'm sorry I couldn't make it back...

I was scared. All feeling had left my body, and I could no longer hear the monster's rasped breathing or rustic screeching...I-I-

Clink-Clink

The sound of shattering. The same one that had taken my best friend and the one that happened when I avenged her. It should have been the same one that was supposed to happen to me now...but my HP was still in the yellow, and the grim reapers' shadow had disappeared, scattering polygons filling its place. The only thing I could hear was a light tinkling in the air as the cold winds blew through the forest.

Wha...what happened?

Putting a bit of strength into my body, I opened my eyes and lifted my head to see what happened. My life should have ended here at the hands of the monsters who surrounded me, yet when I looked around, they had disappeared completely, the only remnants of them being a few glass-like shards still hanging in the air. This was the 36th floor, and they should have been full HP, so how...

"EEEEPPP!"

Slamming myself against the tree behind me, I saw what could only be described as a monster from the netherworld standing just a few feet away from me. It was completely covered in black clothing, its face hidden beneath an equally black hoodie that blended in with the darkness in the night. Its sword was the only thing that broke its dark patterning, glowing with a pale, mysterious aura as the last few polygons floated around it. Despite being dressed head-to-toe in black, the moonlight shining off its armor and weapon amplified the eerie air that surrounded it, sending chills up my spine. I was about to yell again when I noticed the cursor above its head.

Gr-green? It's not a monster... it's a player?!

That's when it hit me. This player had rescued me, destroying the monsters in a single swing, saving my life. Yet despite knowing that, my body refused to listen to me, still trembling despite my protests. Looking a bit closer at its face, I could make out two lights emanating from deep within. I couldn't tell what they were thinking, but a gentle warmth seemed to emit from what I imagine were their eyes. Still, I couldn't stop myself from flinching when they suddenly moved their sword to the side.

As if that was a trigger, the player suddenly looked down as if they were examining their appearance before glancing over to his sword. That was when I heard a completely unexpected voice from the figure.

"So-sorry! I didn't mean to scare you!"

In an apparent panic, the figure quickly sheathed its sword and removed his hoodie and I gasped. The person who had rescued me was a young boy, but their features were fairly feminine that if I wasn't looking directly at him like this, I would have probably confused him for a girl. The awkward smile he had on as he waved his hands to show he meant no harm caused the tension from my earlier fights to snap, and I felt my face heat up as tears welled up in my eyes.