Chapter 27

Scarlett's P.O.V

Laying in my bed and shielding my eyes from the sun that was currently assaulting them. I finally notice that there is an arm around my waist.

Who the

Oh

It's Cade

Slowly slipping out of his hold, I get up, and slowly make my way to the bathroom. It took me a good five minutes, but hey, progress. Finishing up my business and brushing my teeth, I notice the big, red hand-mark on my cheek, reminding me that last night's events really happened. With a sigh, I exit the bathroom and grip the wall for support, heading to the kitchen to get something to eat.

"Hey," Cade said from behind me causing me to jump.

"Fucking Christ!" I yelled, gripping the table to keep me steady.

"I'm sorry," he said, rushing over to me to help me onto the stool.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"I just wanted to say, I'm sorry about last night. I had no right to hit you," he said after a moment of silence.

"You're right, you didn't," I replied, taking a bite of my cookie. God bless his mother for making these many cookies all this time.

"I was just so worried. I thought something bad had happened to you and then the thought of you with somebody else just killed me inside," he replied.

"If you were worried, you could have called me. Or texted. I would have answered," I replied.

"I know, I wasn't thinking straight," he admitted. "You know I love you, right?" he asked. Not wanting to piss him off again, I nod my head with my eyes trained on the ground.

"Hey, I love you. Last night was just a bad night for both of us. We'll do better," he said, taking my face in his hands.

"Does this mean I can get my phone back now?" I asked.

Hesitation. He stiffened, even for a split second I could feel it. If I was getting my phone back, it wouldn't be the same. It was bound to have some sort of tracker in it.

"Baby, how am I supposed to know you won't run off again?" he asked.

"I won't. I promise," I said. Lies.

"You promise I can trust you?" he asked.

"Yes, baby," I replied with a smile, adding a kiss on his cheek for good measure.

"Of course then, baby. Let me go get it," he said, walking out the door.

I needed to get out of here.

It took me five minutes to walk back to my room. In those five minutes, he still didn't come back. It doesn't take that long to get a phone. Slowly putting on my jeans and tossing on my hoodie, ten minutes had now passed. Slipping on my UGGs, I'm careful not to put too much weight on my left side in an effort to not crush the only phone I have.

Chair. Keys. Out the door.

Twenty minutes gone, and he still wasn't back. It was only a matter of time now. Wheeling out my apartment door as fast as I could, I lock the door behind me and speed toward the elevators.

"C'mon. C'mon," I said to myself, violently pressing the elevator button.

I need to get my locks changed. Hopefully, maintenance can do that for me.

Fucking Christ, could this elevator take any longer?

As I'm waiting, I hear heavy footsteps approaching. Closer and closer as my breathing becomes quicker and quicker.