Chapter 20

As they tired themselves crying, natsu fell asleep beside hinata on his bed. Exhaustion taking over.

And yet hinata couldn't sleep, flinching at every little noise even the cricket sounds. At the back of his mind he was expecting hostile heavy footsteps that might drag natsu away from him. Which isn't very unlikely.

"Im sorry natsu...i just wish there was a way i could get you out of this. You don't deserve this."

Hinata was filled with disgust. Disgust with himself for leaving natsu on her own. While the little girl kept looking for ways to get away, there he was, being too weak to even make the first step... and cutting. Drawing out blood, which natsu very much hate.

Feeling pathetic isn't supposed to be felt on a normal basis.

Unless you just sit there and watch a devil destroy your already broken world.

That's hinata's life in a nutshell.

Disgusting nutshell.

After hours of thoughts, natsu stirred and hugged his brother accidentaly hitting the burn which was completely forgotten by the orange headed teen.

He was too preoccupied with rather depressing thoughts to even care nor sleep.

He moved natsu's arm towards his face and caressed the tiny hands. So fragile. One that isn't supposed to be touching blood.

He relaxed and finally got his well needed sleep. A dreamless one.

Morning came by quite quickly. The sun rays illuminating the room as it hit hinata's tear stained face. As of now crying in his sleep became the norm for him.

He slowly got up. His burnt arm finally taking a toll on his monstrous stamina.

He went downstairs whilst letting the little girl continue to temporarily forget her trauma. Sleep.

He prepared egg and bacon for breakfast. The savory smell invading the house. Natsu would be racing downstairs on normal occasions. But their life as of now is anything but normal.

Yet.

He brought the plates upstairs and placed it on his nightstand letting the smell wake natsu up.

He then made his way to the bathroom, took off his shirt and undid the bandages. The 3rd degree burn was worst than he expected. The bandage painfully sticking to the exposed flesh. He winced at the pain and tried be quiet by biting the shirt he wore.

After 20 minutes of agony, he rewrapped it up and went out greeted by natsu rubbing her eyes.

She ran and hugged him. Tightly.

She thought his brother was taken by shindo again.

"Mornin' natsu! Breakfast is ready!"

Hinata motioned to the food and and smiled warmly. The former only nodded.

"Wash your hands first!" The teen chimmed and natsu obliged.

The little girl stepped inside, got a stool as a lift and looked at the mirror. She was a mess and the girl could tell.

He turned on the faucet and let the water run through her tiny hands.
Memories flooded back and she tried to push it back. Tried.

She scrubbed her hands and used soap and rinse

But something was wrong.

"....h-huh?...."

She scrubbed again and again but something woudn't come off. It made her scared and she started crying.

She scrubbed again vigorously than before. Tears escaping her rather empty eyes.

Hinata was worried. Very worried since her little sister was in there for 30 min.

He decided to follow her and was greeted with a little girl, pale and crying as she scrubbed her hands so much it looked like it would peel off.

Hinata's lips quivered as he was lost. Slowly approaching the little girl as the latter realized his presence.

"S-shou-nii......i-...it w-wont....it wont c-come off.....n-nii..."

That was all it took for hinata to hug the shivering girl. He sobbed as he rubbed circles on her back while trying to stop her from scrubbing any more.

The damage has been done.

"I-im sorry! Please m-make it g-go a-a-away! I wont be a b-bad g-girl anymore!! So...so!!...p-please...."

He hugged her impossibly closer muffling tha girls pleads. He didn't wanna hear it. Its tearing him apart even more.

"Natsu they're not r-real. Look at me...im fine." A poor attept at consoling the girl. The little one followed and met his brother's gaze.

She cupped his face but flinched away at the contact.

Phantom stains

She sees blood on her hands.

Just like the time she peeled...his brother's skin.

"Nii im d-dirty...so much r-red...i h-hate it...."

"I know...you're okay...im okay."

'Lies'

A few minutes went by with the siblings comforting each other to the best they could. Then natsu escaped from his grasp and went to the bathroom yet again.

She got out carrying some bandages.

She got closer and wrapped the bandage messily even over his sleeve. She was shaking after all.

The little one had found her coping mechanism for her trauma. Thankfully. But that doesn't make the situation any better.

She just coudn't remove the sight of blood on her tiny hands

Or all over her brothers frail body.