Chapter 30: How to Save a Life

"Jennifer wake up. We have tp start loading the car." Woody sits on the bed shaking my shoulder. "Did you sleep on top of the sheets?"

"Yeah." I yawn. "I didn't want you to have to do it later." Woody smiles.

He starts packing the car with my stuff. I shove my phone in my pocket without looking at it. I grab my bag. I head for the door. I place my hand on the door knob. I look back at my room.

The day I moved in. The night I slept with Furman. The night Josh and I sat on the roof. The time Tori told me juicy gossip, I didn't care about. The day after mine and Josh's first "fight", how he came in and kissed me the second time. The party, when I almost was violated and Josh saved me. The night I was drunk with Max. And two days ago, when Josh caught me with Max in the bed. Even though these memories aren't all good. It was the first time that I felt like my life wasn't going to be so depressing and sad. These memories will always be a great reminder that I can push through the toughest obstacles in life and still make it out okay.

"Jen! Come on!" Woody yells. I close the bedroom window that I left open. I could see me and Josh laying under the stars. I shake the thought. I close the door behind me. I begin running down the stairs.

I stop midway down the stairs. I can see the night of the party. Avan and Max heated in an argument. Me and Tori picking up the shards of the vase that Avan threw.

I start to walk down again. I get to the front door and see Josh fixing the front porch stairs. I shake my head. And the image disappears. Woody hollers at me to hurry up. I jump down the stairs and remember when I went through the wood boards and Josh had to help me.

I get in the car. I let out a big breath. "Why did you take so long?" Woody asks as he starts up the car.

"Just close up some open doors..." I say. He raises his eyebrows.

"Very deep." Woody starts backing up.

"Thanks." I laugh.

We start down the road. We get as far as the inner city. We get stuck in traffic. Not freeway traffic but street traffic. Woody talked to an officer, they had told him that something went wrong with the construction. It was going be a while till we are able to move.

"Are you glad we left early? I told you." Woody gloats about how he was right all along.

"Yeah, Yeah Woody. When does my flight leave again?" I ask.

"3:45 pm. It's 11:19." He answers. I nod. All cars are bumper to bumper.

I hear a buzzing sound. Woody lifts his head and looks at me. I pull out my phone. 37 missed calls. 72 texts messages. 10 voicemails.

"Well damn!" Woody laughs and lays his head back.

The majority of the call, texts, and voicemails are from Josh. And the rest from Avan, Tori, and even Xander. The phone starts and vibrating again. Josh is calling.

"I'd answer. Might be the last-" Woody starts.

"No. I won't." I say. I block the call and raise the volume on the radio. "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye plays. I keep changing the station.

Josh actually wants to talk. Now, I don't think I can listen to him. Maybe I called him yesterday for him to talk me out of going. I need to leave now. He can't change my mind. And I'm afraid if I listen to him I might turn back.

"Go take a walk," Woody says.

"No. Why would I need to," I say.

"You look like you thinking about a big decision." He opens one eye.