Chapter 7: The Hickey

"Jennifer....Jen," says the sweet voice in my ear. Josh gingerly shakes me. "Hey we are here." My eyes barely open. I am just too tired to get up. I grunt. I hear his car door shut and mine open. Josh unbuckles my seat belt and carries me to the door. I was in a deep sleep but could hear everything around me.

The keys jingle and the door unlocks. I curl up on his shoulder. I feel his body tense when he reaches the stairs.

He lays me gently on my bed and covers me with a blanket. He touches my neck and leans in to look at the spot he's touching.What is he looking at?

I want to say thank you but when I try my mouth won't open. My eyes barely open, I get to see him walk out.

I should have gotten up myself. Instead of having him carry me. I mean the boy has bruised ribs and a broken arm. What do I have? Nothing, nothing is wrong with me.......

"Hey! Get Up!" yells Woody. I sit up in my bed and swaying back and forth. "Where the hell were you last night!" He yells. My mind isn't quite clear.

"I was in the bathroom...?" I answer stupidly.

"Where did you go?!" He yells, disregarding my comment.

"A party! God!" I says pulling my messy hair back in a bun.

"Why didn't you tell me? You could have at least done that. I was worried!" He replies.

"I was okay. I was with Josh" I say, hoping that with calm him down. It's to early for this. Arguing.

"Well....I need to get to work. See you when I get home." He answers. He walks out of my room and I follow him. I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday. We walks out the door, I stand on the porch watching him leave the property. Right then, a car pulls in. Josh and Avan.

Josh waves from the car. I wave back with not as much of energy as him. Avan just stares at me confused. They both get off the car and come inside.

"Did you sleep well?" Asked Josh pouring a bowl of cereal.

"Thank you. For carrying me inside and tucking me in bed." I say sheepishly.

"No problem. I did the same with Avan here." He starts to laughing. Avan mad dogs him and makes coffee.

"Well, you ruined that moment." I laugh with him.

"What are you going to do today?" He asks me. I am about to answer when Avan approaches me and grabs my neck. WHAT THE HELL!

"You have a big ass hickey!" He bust up laughing. I run to the down stairs bathroom. And sure enough a big purple hickey on my neck. I walk back outside and Avan is still laughing.

"Whoa! Josh! Getting frisky with Jennifer in her bed ehh?" He blurts out loud.

"Shut up Avan! I didn't do that!" He nudges Avan in the shoulder.

"Fucking Max!" I say under my breath.

"Max did that? When?" Josh says confused.

"It was after you left the patio. I went back inside to go to the bathroom and he did this." I say looking down.

"What a dick!" Josh replies. Avan finally finds himself again.

"We should do something!" Avan gets serious. He barely knows me and now he wants to beat on Max.

"No he was just drunk." I say blowing off the topic.

"He should pay for what he did!" Josh says.

"You have a broken arm and Avan is hungover. Please! You guys wouldn't do much damage. Anyways it's not that be of a deal." I explain. But it doesn't seem to convince them. We all eat breakfast.

We all lay on the floor full and tired. I lay in the middle of my two new friends. We all stare up at the wooden ceiling. Not saying anything to each other.

"So Jen. How do you like Kentucky?" Avan asks me. I have only been here a week and it's been a confusing time.

"It's been strange." I reply. I don't know exactly how I've actually liked it. "Do any of you know how to get rid of a hickey?" They laugh.

"Try a really cold spoon," Josh replies poking my purple and black hickey.

"Look at Josh being the master!" Avan laughs. Josh eyes him. The door bell rings. I prop myself on both of my elbows. I stnad up and hop my way over to the door.

I open the door and find Max. He smiles slightly. I close the door and walk back to the lazy boys on the floor.

"Who was it?" Avan asks looking up at me.

"Max...I can't even look at that pig." I say rolling my eyes.

"Our chance Joshy!" Avan says standing up and helping Josh.

"No! What? You aren't going to hurt him. That's not any better." I say holding them back. The door bell rings again and again and again. "I'm gonna go talk to him."

I open the door and walk outside. Max looks at my neck.

"I am so sorry. Jen, I was hammered. I didn't know what I was doing." He says.

"I knew you were a complete creep. Just don't talk to me anymore. I think our "friendship" is over." I reply and slam the door in is face.

Josh and Avan move back. Those little scum balls! .....what's a scum ball? ehh whatever. They were listening to the whole conversation!

"You showed him!" Avan says high five-ing Josh. 

"Get out! Woody will be here in an hour!" I say pushing them out the door.

"But Woody likes me!" Josh says disagreeing. I pin him against the door.

"Just leave." I say. We are inches away. I reach for the doorknob and open the door. he stumbles back and Avan follows him. 

"See you tomorrow!" Josh yells from his car now. I roll my eyes and close the door. Can't wait for tomorrow.