Chapter 21: For the Best

I sit on the counter eating a poptart. It's a great breakfast right? Note the sarcasm. I woke up early and had gotten dressed like a normal teen would. Woody comes in and throws another letter to me. I have become very popular in the last few days apparently.

"Another one? Really? Who is it from this time?" I say.

"The police department." Woody says nonchalantly. My eyes widen to his chillness about it. "Well open it." He pushes.

I rip open the sealed envelope. I'm no good at opening it the correct way. I pull out the small plastic card. My license.

"They decided not to punish you in any way. You're off the hook." Says Woody. I stare at the small card,then anxiety kicks in. 'I will never drive a car again.' I tell myself, no I demand myself.

I front door opens and Josh walks in. He lays on the couch and Woody glances and keeps walking off to his office. I walk into the living room and stand behind the couch.

"What's wrong with you?" I say crossing my arms.

"I'm bored! So bored." Josh says in different tones.

"It's only the morning." I say. I wonder how he would be when it's mid day?

"Let's do something fun. Chaotic. Something only great minds alike can think of- Hey what's that?" Josh says. He grabs my license and stares at my horrible mug shot. The day they took the picture, I had woken up late for my designated timing. So the picture came out looking jacked, one of my eyes is squinty because of the flash. And my hair looks a bit unbrushed. One of the worst pictures I've ever taken.

"Aww you look so cute." Josh teases. I chase him around trying to get it back.

"Come on. I know I look stupid but can we just leave it at that." I say.

"Nope because you look to god darn cute." Josh says. I finally retrieve the license.

"So now you can drive me places huh?" Josh says smiling.

"No. I'm scared to drive now." I say. No explanation needed.

"There's no need to be scared." Josh tries to reassure me. I keep denying though.

"I have all the reason to be. I would freak out just being behind the wheel." I say honestly.

"Come on. I have an idea." Josh says taking my arm. We are out the door walking to his car. I try to object be he keeps pulling me with him. He opens the door to the passengers seat and lets me in. And he get in the driver's seat.

"Where are we going?" I ask impatiently.

"Just wait we are almost there." Josh says. It looks like we are in the middle of nowhere. Literally. Farms and fields. We pull into a small empty lawn of grass next to a small house.

"Why are we here? An hour of driving and you take me here? Are you going to kill me because I swear-" I begin.

"No no no. I'm not planning to kill you. You're going to drive." He announces. He gets off the car and walks over to me door. I'm about to lock it but he opens just in time. I cling on to my seat but he rips me out and throws me on his shoulder. I start to fling around in his arms.

"Let me go! I can't drive!" I yell over and over. He opens the driver's door and straps me in the seat. He runs back to passengers seat and sits.

"Now turn it on." He says. I sit cold. Frozen in my position. Flash of the accident come in my mind. "Turn it on" Josh demands. My shaking hand reaches for the keys. I turn it to the right and I flinch at the sound of the engine. "Now take it off of park and put it on drive." Josh instructs. I hestiate.