Chapter 19: The 3 Letters

"Do you need a ride?" Josh says. He swings his keys in his hands. I stand up properly and look at his silhouette in the yellow sunset. I smile at him and grab my bag.

We walk to his car without a sound. He grabs my hand but I don't pull away. It's nice. He opens the car doors and we both get in. It's not his car exactly. He borrowed Avan's car. Avan's car is old. The seats are torn up, the windows are the roll up kind. I wonder why he's using this car but I don't ask.

"Thanks. Where's Lanchen?" I ask curious. She wasn't with Josh and knowing her conceded ways, she would be mad if Josh didn't pick her up.

"She said she had some business of her own. I didn't ask what it was." Josh says blowing off the topic. "You came with Max? I don't get it. He's screwed you over many times, yet you still talk to him?"

"I guess I'm a nice person." I nudge him. He laughs sarcastically. "I didn't come here with him. I came with Tori and Xander. I didn't exactly know that I was a third wheel. I had just happened to run into Max."

"Happen? I don't know. Max is very persistent." Josh says laughing to himself. "Hey I'm sorry about this morning. I wasn't in a good mood. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything."

"Don't worry my feelings are still intact." I reply. Only if Josh knew my feelings were numb. I was completely numb inside. Except the day I saw Josh kissing Lanchen at his party. That day it felt so bad, first time in years I had cried. The only feelings I feel now is anger and a little bit of love....unexplored.

He drives back to Woody's house to drop me off. Suddenly the car starts to cough loudly. It begins to slow down till we are stuck in the middle of the road. One good thing is there are no cars whatsoever. Josh turns to me and smiles. My eyes widen only because it's getting dark and I have no idea where we are. It's like those scary movies when they run out of gas and the killer comes and..well kills them.

"What wrong with it?" I ask instantly.

"If you haven't noticed the car is like a billion years old." Josh jokes. He smiles and I grin. "Let me go check." He pops up the hood band smoke escapes the engine. "That is not good." Josh says scratching his head.

I get down and stand next to him. "What do we do now?" I ask.

"I guess we call for help. Do you have your phone? I forgot mine." Josh says smiling.

"Boys never come prepared." I say. I put half of my body inside the window and grab my bag. I go through it from my phone. Once I find it...it's dead. I walk back to the hood of the car. "Umm, my phone's dead." I mummble.

"Oh really! Who doesn't come prepared now?!" Josh says joking. I push him.

"What do we do? How far are we away from Woody's?" I ask.

"First let's get the car off the road. Get in the driver's seat and maneuver the car while I push." He suggests.

"Umm no. I can't. I'll push. I can't be in the driver's seat." I say almost frantic.

"Are you sure?" Josh asks me.

"Positive." I reply. I walk to the trunk and Josh gets in the front. I start to push the car. Surprisingly I did it. After 20 minutes the truck is on the side of the road and I am exhausted. It's pretty dark already and getting a bit foggy. I sit on the dirt floor resting.

"See I should have pushed. I shouldn't have let you." Josh says sitting next to me.

"No..No.. I am fine." I say out of breath. "What now?"

"Well I say we walk to the nearest phone. But It's pretty damn dark. I think it's about 7:30." Josh explains.

"So what? We stay here all night?" I say unhappy.