Chapter 4: Trusting Strangers

I wake up to Woody pounding on my door. I didn't want to get up, I stay put on my bed with all my unpacked boxes surrounding me. He barges in.

"Hey get up." He says moving boxes out of his way. If I was fully awake I would give a damn.

"Do you ever wake up a person nicely" I mumble. "Are we going to see Josh?" I ask with my rusty voice.

"No, not today. I got called into work early. I'm about to leave right now actually." He explains hovering over my bed.

"But we promised we'd see him!" I begin to panic. I don't want him to think I am a monster.

"I know but maybe when I get back from work or something," Woody says heading for the door. "By the way, the police station called. They said your license is expired for a month."

"What happens after the month is up? Do I get to drive again?" I say, I sit up in my bed now.

"Well they said it could take awhile for a decision. The Mason's might press charges. Everything is still unclear right now." Woody says. He exits my room. I flop back down on my bed and stare at the ceiling. I here the truck leave the property.

I have a whole day ahead of me. I guess I could start to unpack everything. I haven't had any time. And when  I had those spilt seconds, I keep thinking of the accident.

I begin to open box after box. I find my laptop and my necessary things I need to stay alive in this very rual area. I hang my clothes in the closet. Put pictures up on the walls and my desk. The room that once had brown ugly boxes and a single bed and desk began to look like my room. Like home.

I begin to drag boxes over to the bathroom. Putting towels in cabinets and placing shampoos in the shower. Till I realizes I still need a few things from the store.

'How am I suppose to get it?' I think to myself. I have no clue when Woody gets back and if he decides to see Josh, I won't have time ever. I have a long record of procrastinating on small and big things.

I grab my bag and I throw on some decent clothes on. I run down stairs and slip on my ratty old converse. I am going to do get it one way or another. I'll just walk there. I mean it took 20 minutes to the nearest store by car, I doubt it will take no longer than an hour and a half.

I begin to take my walk down the dirt path of Union, Kentucky. I haven't had anytime to actually see my surroundings since I got here. So walking might not be such a bad idea. Only if it weren't so god damn cloudy, maybe the sun would have a different affect on the newly grown dandelions sprouting on the path.

After 30 minutes of continuous walking, I'm exhausted. I haven't even meet the half way point. "How much longer!" I cry out. Thunder begins to scream in the clouds above. I try to walk faster but the intersection doesn't seem near.

I keep walking and hope I will soon meet the intersection. I feel awkward....Why is it do damn awkward? I turn around. It was the clear instinct. A car is following me!

"Come on buddy! Keep it going!" I scream at the car moving my hand forward. Like in the movies when the butler opens the door for the guest and invites them in.

The car pulls up to my right. I seriously don't want to cuss out anyone right now. I'm not in the mood.

"Do you need a ride?" asks the stranger in the car.

"No I don't take car rides from creeps that follow me." I turn to look at him and I give him a witty smile. He isn't older than 20 and not at all bad looking.