Entry 9: Manipulation

Misa would come over almost everyday. She always had the same bubbly greeting whenever one of us would open the front door. I noticed Rem floating behind her, she was a skeletal shinigami with a bandage over one eye, she had long stringy white hair and a piercing yellow eye. She was unsettling to look at. I would look for any excuse to spend time with L, and I avoided home as much as possible. 

     Misa had a Death Note of her own and it was different than Light's. She had no problem with writing names down like Light, in fact, she found it fun. Light was going to have some not so good admirers and he would make some enemies. "I would do anything for you, Light. I would even let you use me," I heard Misa tell light with cheerfulness. I was standing against the wall between mine and Light's rooms. I couldn't help but hear what was going on. Since Rem and Ryuk were both in the same room, the conversation was painfully clear and I heard something I would never forget.  

 "Excellent," he replied with a sly smile. "That means we'll need to keep our relationship a secret, and to avoid suspicion I'll have to date other girls." "Huh? What do you mean? You're seriously gonna date other girls?" Misa cried. "Yeah, more or less," he replied. "I don't want you to!" she shouted. I felt bad for her, she was willing to be used by my brother and he clearly didn't care about her. A toxic relationship was unfolding. "If I see you with another girl, I'll kill her," she threatened, her eyes glowing bright red. Her eyes were glowing bright red, because she had taken the deal and gained the shinigami eyes. "Scary," Ryuk giggled. If only she knew that when he was done with her, he would break her heart and possibly kill her. Misa was unaware how evil he really was. 

"You said you were okay with me using you!" Light shouted at her. "Yes, but that's not the same thing!" 

I was in awe thinking about how much has changed in a year, some of those changes were wonderful, while others were terrifying. I was grateful I had L in my life, I felt safe with him, and I knew he would always be there to love and protect me.

When I wasn't studying for university, I would spend time with L. We would go over wedding plans, investigate Kira, and we would have deep conversations about life.

One evening, we stood outside and watched the rain. We were holding hands and enjoying each others' company. 

He took me in his arms and hugged me, I laid my head against his shoulder and hugged him. "What are you thinking about?" I asked curiously, he was always deep in thought, and sometimes I wanted to know. "How brighter life is going to be with you." he smiled, running his fingers through my hair. Our wedding was in a few days, and we didn't want to spend a second apart from each other; we both were feeling so excited. "You're sweet." I blushed, and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "So are you," he flirted; his black eyes were glowing with happiness his eyes seemed to turn bright grey. My heart melted at the sight, "You're adorable," I playfully flirted. He chuckled and kissed me on the forehead and then the lips. I touched his face tenderly and kissed him back. We hugged each other as we kissed. "Kissing you is fun," he flirted, smiling his boyish cute smile. "The feeling is mutual," I playfully kissed him on the cheek. 

A gentle warmth like a cozy quilt wrapped around us, and we were secure. "L, I promise to be the best wife for you. I will always be there for you and I will always choose you. You make me feel like the luckiest girl in the whole world" I kissed him on the cheek, "I look forward to spending the rest of my life with you." I told him.

"Saki, sweetheart, I'm yours forever. No harm will ever come to you as long as I'm around." he stroked my face.

"I love you forever." L's sweetness was heartwarming and I smiled like an idiot. "I love you," reminding him of my love for him was one of the things that made me happy. We also showed our love for each other through little gestures that would make each other's day. Every time I would go to school, I would stop by the hotel he was staying at and give him his favorite sweets, I even made him a cake and the smile I saw on his face was cute. Sometimes when I would go out to my car to drive home, I would find flowers and chocolate waiting for me with cute little stationery cards with love notes written on them. It was so sweet and always made my day. 

I loved when we would spend time together, just the two of us. I knew that L didn't particularly like crowded places, and to be honest, neither did I. We would go to the bookstore one evening and pick out reading material for each other and we would talk about what we read, he and I thought of it as helping one another learn something. I was getting more and more excited as the wedding was approaching. 

A few hours later...

More names were announced on the news. I could practically hear Light's psychotic laugh as the names were announced. Ryuk stood back in delight, "Humans are so interesting." "What's so interesting about us?" I asked the shinigami. "Your ideas of justice are so different. You humans are so obsessed with challenges." he grinned, his pointy teeth made him look more intimidating. "You have no idea," I told him.

"Are you going to tell your dear fiancé that Light is Kira?" Ryuk interrogated. I looked at Ryuk, not knowing whether or not I should tell him, after all, he was basically Light's accomplice. He could see inside my head, which put me in a fork in the road, should I tell him my answer? Or should I keep it to myself or think up a lie. "I don't know, Ryuk. I need to think about it some more." the wedding was coming up, and the last thing I wanted to think about was the investigation.

The whisperings of guilt were at the back of my mind, because I could save thousands of lives from Light's grasp. I knew what I needed to do, I needed to tell L.