*Prologue*

PART I: Death

I could feel stabbing pain all over my body. I wanted to scream out, to get it to stop, but I couldn't. I heard the sound of crushing metal, and I felt like a few sparks flew, but other than that, I had no idea what was going on. 

"Someone help me!" I tried to shout, but nothing came out of my mouth. It was like I was frozen. I couldn't move, I couldn't speak, and I couldn't feel anything other than pain. I tried to scream, I tried to kick, I tried to get away from whatever was surrounding me, but I couldn't. I couldn't do anything. 

"Please," I rasped out. I used all my breath to say it, but even though I strained my ears, I could barely hear it. I thought I felt a tear stream down my cheek. "Please."

Suddenly, instead of seeing black, I saw white. Blinding white that seemed to shine right through me. I saw a dark black hand, almost dementor-like, reach through the mist. As I stared at it, I realized what it meant.

"No," I sobbed, trying to shake my head. "No, I'm not ready!" The hand kept reaching toward, as if trying to reach my very soul. Which, to be fair, I guess it was.

Sacrifice is a weird thing. Because although you know it's the right thing to do when you're heading into the danger, it seems all wrong once Fate has cut your string. As the hand of death reaches toward you, you realize that you shouldn't have sacrificed yourself at all. You have a selfish moment where you realize you want to live. 

Dying means leaving those you love behind. It means never getting the chance to say goodbye, to tell them how you really feel. In that moment, you would give anything to go back in time and undo what you did. Even if you'd be willing to sacrifice yourself again, you'd want to go back and fix something. You'd want to live that day over again, knowing that you're going to die, just so you can live it the right way.

No one knows what day Fate might decide to cut their string. 

No one knows when the Hand Of Death will reach out to take their very soul. 

No one is ever prepared to die.