*Chapter 20*

It was the first day of training at camp. I swear, no matter where I went, I had to train. Never got a day off.

"Okay everyone," Omega said. We were all gathered in the main part of the cabin. "Just a few things before we go to breakfast. This morning we start training with the campers." Everyone, myself included, groaned. "Yeah, yeah, I know, I don't like it either, but we have to. While we're with them, you need to act like a trained army. It's not fun and games while we're here. Got it?"

"Why can't we joke around?" Dawn asked. "We fool around in the cabin."

"We need to keep up an act," Omega said. "They need to see us as a disciplined army."

"Why?" Lune asked.

"Well, technically, we're supposed to be," Omega explained, sheepishly. "I'm just not the best commander for that..." Everyone laughed.

"On a more serious note," I announced after a couple seconds, "there is a person here I believe might be able to figure out my identity. I need to stay as far away from him as possible."

"Who is it?" Dawn asked.

"Nico di Angelo. Son of Hades. My half-brother."

***

"Why are you so worried Alpha?" Lune asked after training that day. "It'll be fine."

"Yeah," Dawn agreed. "It's just some random boy who has the same father as you. He doesn't even know you exist."

"You don't understand," I said. I reached into the middle of our circle and grabbed a handful of popcorn— I didn't think of it as junk food, I thought of it as comfort food. "He's not just some random boy."

"What do you mean?" Lune asked. She leaned forward, with her elbows on her knees and her hands on her fists.

"He's my... brother," I said. My voice cracked slightly but I ignored it. I almost wanted to tell them that I knew him, but held that comment back. I looked between the two of them, "Don't you guys find it weird that we're surrounded by our siblings here? Siblings we didn't even know existed until today?"

"I guess when you put it like that it is a bit weird," Lune said thoughtfully.

"Except I don't have any siblings here," Dawn said.

Lune and I shared confused glances with each other before looking over at her.

"What do you mean?" Lune asked.

"I'm not a demigod," Dawn said simply.

"You're not a demigod?!" I exclaimed in surprise.

"You didn't know that?" Dawn asked, laughing at my expression.

"No," I said. I looked at Lune, "Did you know about this?"

Lune laughed and shook her head.

"If you're not a demigod, then what exactly are you?" I asked, cringing slightly at how it came out. I meant it in a totally not offensive way but it didn't really turn out how I meant.

"I'm a descendant of a greek god," Dawn explained. "My grandfather or someone was a demigod."

"Huh," was all I said.

"Who are you a descendant of?" Lune asked.

"Apollo, I think," Dawn told her.

"I'm a daughter of Apollo! Does that mean we're like very distantly related in some way?"

"I think so," Dawn said thoughtfully. I didn't bother trying to contribute to the conversation since they had lost me with all the descendant-related stuff.

"High five!' Lune yelled. I was suddenly feeling very left out as Dawn high fived Lune. Then I laughed at her when she flinched away after, grabbing her hand.

"Holy shit, that hurt!"

"How hard do you hit?!" Lune exclaimed, grabbing her own hand. I just sat there laughing at them, although I did understand the feeling.

"Sorry," Dawn half laughed, half groaned.

I glanced at the clock, "Lune, don't you have to go now?"

"Hm? Oh yeah, I do," she said, slowly pushing herself into a standing position. "See ya guys later."

"Bye," Dawn and I said.

"I feel like I never talk to anyone except you and Lune," Dawn said, throwing some popcorn into her mouth after Lune left. "Like I literally have no other friends."

"Except Hunter and Danny," I amended. "Can't forget those two."

"Do you get what I mean though? I mean, there are a couple hundred of this in this army and I have about 5 actual friends."

"You're really making me question my life right now."

"I'm being serious Alpha!" Dawn exclaimed, throwing a pillow at me.

"I am too!" I replied. "I really think that's the way things are. It can be better to only have a few friends."

"I wonder if it's the same way here," Dawn muttered, looking down at the floor.

"I wouldn't know," I whispered. "I never had any real friends here."

Dawn didn't say anything for a few seconds.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"What?"

"You said you never had any real friends here," she said, looking back up at me. She started speaking faster with each word, "I thought you never lived here."

"I—" There were a thousand lies I could have told in that moment. I could have said I meant on the other training ground or play it off like she just heard me wrong. That's what I would done any other time. But for some reason, that time was different.

"I didn't want to lie to you," I said in a rush. "I just wanted to separate myself from this life and lying was the best way to do it. Chaos suggested that I make a cover story and said no one would ask questions and—"

"Alpha, Alpha, slow down," Dawn said. "Are you... are you telling me that everything I know about your past is a lie?"

"Um... well, technically... yes."

Dawn closed her eyes and nodded slowly.

"Look I get it if you're mad," I said. "Hell, I would be too if I were in your place. I'm sorry I lied about it but I really just couldn't tell you the truth."

"I'm not mad," Dawn whispered, opening her eyes again. "I understand why you did it."

"You do?"

"Yeah," she said. She smiled weakly, "I guess you have a lot to tell me."

"What do you want to know?" I asked. If it was anyone else, I wouldn't be willing to tell them about the past. But this was Dawn. And I really needed someone, anyone, to know my story.

"How did you end up in Chaos' world?"

"Chaos granted me another chance at life," I told her.

"Another chance?" she asked. "You mean you died?"

"Yeah," I said. "I'm assuming you have a thousand questions about that?"

"What did it feel like?"

"It hurt at first," I admitted. "But then a hand reached out to me and..." I shrugged.

"How did you die?" she asked softly. Then as an afterthought she added, "Oh and what was your name?"

"My name was Bianca di Angelo. And I died to save my friends."

***

You have no idea how much I loved writing this chapter. I hope you liked it too :) We're getting so close to the end of the book! My guess is about 5 more chapters and an epilogue.

Hope you have an amazing day/evening/night,

Watnie247