*Chapter 23*

I unintentionally held my breath for a few seconds. What was he thinking? Why would he leave in the middle of a war?

I waited for him to pass by my room before walking out. When I got to the living room, he was opening the cabin door.

"What are you doing?" I whisper-yelled, crossing my arms. Omega turned around, seeming surprised that I was there.

"You read the note," he said. "I have to surrender myself."

"Are you crazy?" I exclaimed as quietly as I could. "You'll get yourself killed! Besides, how can you surrender yourself to someone you've never met?"

"Think about it, Alpha. Three people have been killed inside camp borders. They can get in and out without anyone noticing them."

"So?"

"So, they're probably in the camp right now. If I'm out in the open, they can take me."

"Why would they be in camp right now?" I asked. "They can't just count on you surrendering yourself."

"They know I will," he said. "My fatal flaw is loyalty. They know I wouldn't let anyone else be killed."

"And if you don't surrender yourself?"

"Then they kill someone." He stared into my eyes. "And I have no idea who will die next."

"Maybe they'll kill someone you hate?" I suggested. I got really happy as I said, "Maybe they'll kill Hayden."

"Maybe. But they might also kill someone I care about. Maybe Dawn. Or Lune. Maybe even Hunter. Or... maybe they'll kill you."

"You don't have to worry about me," I whispered, looking down. "I can take care of myself."

"I know. That's why I don't feel guilty about leaving."

My head snapped up. My neck complained in protest but I ignored it as I stared at the boy in front of me.

"What about everyone else?! They need you, now more than ever. They need a leader."

"And they have one," he "They have you. And I know you'll be great."

I shook my head. Everything was going wrong. It wasn't supposed to be like this, it was never supposed to end this way. I could never be half the leader he was, not to mention that I didn't want to be. I had already had my fair share of leading this army and I didn't want that power back, especially since it meant Omega being gone.

"I can't lead them without you, Omega," I whispered. Tears filled my vision, making his face lose all features. "Please don't leave."

"I have to," he replied. "Just remember that I will always care about you, Alpha. I will always love you."

I stared at him. I couldn't tell if he was just saying that or if he really meant it. But at that moment it didn't matter— it was wrong. It was all wrong. He was about to surrender himself to the enemy, we were in the middle of a war, we were on a planet we didn't even live in on...

"So this is it then?" I asked. "I spill my guts to you, I tell you who I am, and you just leave?"

"I have to go. No one else can get hurt because of me."

"Please Omega," I whispered, reaching out and grabbing his hand. "Don't go. Don't leave me again."

"Goodbye Alpha," I said. He let go of my hand and I let it drop back to my side as I watched him leave.

"IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU!" I screamed after him. Realistically, I could have done it if I wanted to. Hades totally would have let me bring Omega back to life just to kill him again.