Abba's Choice

Selfishness can easily creep into any situation, and it may take a while to overcome it. I was in the process of uncovering the fact that I'd never thought to understand Kennedy's thoughts and feelings. Maybe I wasn't as good a friend as I'd thought. But I'm definitely willing to change.

"Who the hell are you?" Abba interrupts my thoughts as he settles in his favorite chair in the living room, directly across from where Kennedy is sitting.

Abba is a jovial guy for the most part, so I feel he is just messing with Ken, or trying to get a real sense of who the hell he is.

"Kennedy Williams, sir!" Ken salutes perfectly.

"I'm no army man, son. No need for salutes." Abba says.

"That may be, but I am one, sir. Or, I want to be."

I didn't know that. My shoulders slump a little at the realization that I have no idea what Kennedy liked and didn't like.

"Hmm," Abba grumbles in thought before speaking again. "Why are you in my home?"

"I would like to learn about Islam from you, sir. I know your daughter."

"So what? Everyone knows her. Why should I teach you?"

"Because," Kennedy takes a breath, and seemingly breaks down while he begins to cry. "Because I've lost my way in life. I've lost everything."

The room is silent for a bit as we girls peek into the room from the hallway, awaiting Abba's response. My father rises from his seat and walks over to Ken. His hand rises and then comes down- to pat Kennedy on the back.

"I feel that you're honest. Any man that can cry in front of another they just met is a truthful one." Abba says, cooly. "I respect the way you carry yourself-I can tell all your values from your words."

"Thank you, sir."

"But why Islam? It is far from simple."

"I don't want simple. I want to feel like I belong- like my heart truly believes what my brain does. And I believe that God is one being that controls and causes all. I believe Islam makes my heart believe the same thing."

"Good man. It will be an honor to meet your parents."

"Uh..." Ken turns to the doorway to look at me but I duck away just in time. "Sir, I've been disowned." he says, turning back to Abba.

"Disowned, how?"

"My father is a pastor. He didn't support my decision to leave Christianity so he made me leave too." Ken answers, clearly distraught and hurt.

"Where are you staying?"

"I've managed, sir. Don't you worry."

"That's not what I asked you." Abba demands calmly.

"At school."

The silence that follows seems to last for years. Ummi and I glance at each other in nervousness. She takes my hand and I smile, happy to have her and to have made her day a little happier with Hop's assignment.

Prior to Kennedy's coming over, I'd sincerely apologized to Ummi and made her the calming tea. Then we talked about Kennedy. Eventually, Ummi wanted Ken to stay with us as well. Now, the final decision was Abba's.

"You may stay here." He tells Ken in his usual, quiet voice.

Ummi and I jump up and down with excitement. "Thank you! Oh, my-thank you!" Kennedy exclaims elatedly. "I won't stay long."

"Yeah, right. You don't have a job or any other housing options. You are staying here, and we will call your parents and let them know you are safe."

"They won't care."

"I doubt that. In any case, you will stay here on several conditions."

"Alright. What are they?"

"You will not take this as an opportunity to 'hook down' with my daughters. You will not be alone with them anywhere besides the living room."

I hold back a laugh while Kennedy calmly corrects Abba. "I will not hook up with anyone, sir."

"Second, you will stay on top of your schoolwork and other activities. No slacking off."

"Agreed, sir."

"Third, the minute you go against my trust, you are right back on the street. You will not mistreat my daughters in any way."

"I will not abuse your trust."

"Well then," Abba walks back over to his seat to get his coat."Let's go and get your things."

"Actually, they're already here. They're in the box on the front porch."

"What, were you that confident I would let you stay?" Abba asks discerningly.

"I was that hopeful."

"I think I'll like you, Mr. Williams." Abba pats Ken's back one more time and goes upstairs.

Ummi gives me one last smile and follows Abba. I jump into the living room. "This is actually happening!" I yell.

"I know! I can't even tell you how grateful I am. Thank you so much, Yasmeen."

"I'm happy to help. But I have to ask... you want to join the army?"

"I've always wanted to join. I just never said anything because, well, it probably would've seemed like I was copying Major. I didn't want you to think that."

"Why not?"

"Because you would've gotten upset. I care too much about you to lose you."

"Ken, you are my best friend. But I don't know much about you. You never talk about yourself."

"Being with you is an escape from myself."

For once, I realize how dependent I've been on Kennedy, for my own sake. It was long overdue that I think about people other than myself and how they are feeling. So I respond with a sentence that I should have said over a year ago.

"Tell me all about it."