This Is Not The End

Life never stops changing. Sometimes the things you care about so much one week just don't seem as important in the next week. Last week, I was worried about Major. Now I was worried about Kennedy.

I go to school early again on Thursday morning to prepare Kennedy for his meeting my parents.

When I get to the track outside, I see him running, and I notice that there is an open box seated next to his backpack. I lean over and peer inside, only to see that it is full of his clothes. He's been officially kicked out of his home.

Ken notices me about five minutes later and comes over. "So, you saw the box," he says, gesturing to it as I nod my head yes. "Thank God this school has showers."

"You've been showering here?"

"Not just showering, Yasmeen. I've been living here."

"Since when?"

"Since the last time we talked. Monday night."

Okay, that does it. "You are coming to my house tonight. I want you to stay with us."

"Yaz, I really appreciate it, but come on. I can't get my hopes up. Your dad won't even allow boys inside the house, from what I recall."

"Yes, but you're not just a boy. You're my friend! And it wouldn't kill us to try. If it doesn't work out, we'll figure something out together. Things aren't going to end like this."

Kennedy touches my shoulder and looks into my eyes with those vibrant green ones of his. "Thank you for everything you're doing."

"You've done so much more for me."

He furrows his brows at my response and takes a breath before speaking. "Seriously asking, are you trying to pay me back somehow for calling the ambulance that day?"

"No, of course not!"

"Really? Because it seems like everything you've done for me so far is because I 'saved' your life. I didn't save your life. I was in the right place at the right time, and I acted quickly."

"I know, and I'm so grateful."

"Listen to me and hear what I'm saying. You don't owe me a thing, and I don't want you to feel like you have to. I am your friend because I care about you, not because I expect anything from you."

"You're right," I realize, shrugging. "I guess I just felt like I had to be as a good a friend as you. You're an amazing friend. And you're right. You'll always be my hero, but you can still be that without any pressure from me."

"You are an amazing friend." he says, smiling at me.

I dismiss the sweet moment and instead take it as the opportunity to make my point. "All of that aside, we are doing this. Abba will interrogate you and Ummi will be upset that you are even in the house. Deena will probably be enjoying the show, and I will be nervously glancing back and forth from you to Abba."

"Abba?"

"Oh, I'm sorry! Abba is Arabic for father, and Ummi for mother. Deena's my little sister." I realize something while I explain to Kennedy who these people are. "Wow. You don't know anything about my family. How is that even possible?"

"Well, you don't talk about them much, you know? It's always been Major this and Major that. Now you're finally coming out of your shell, and making your life about you. Besides, it's never too late."

He was right. I was happy to be beginning my own chapter in life. And I wanted to continue it with him not struggling. I needed to help. "Okay, so what about seven tonight? Abba will be home by then. Can you make it?"

"It's not like I have any other plans." he says, gesturing to the track.

"Right. I'll see you then."

We take off in different directions as the warning bell rings. While I walk down the hall, I realize that today is Thursday.

Upon entering the art classroom, I notice Major sitting at a desk. I pass him to sit at mine, and he acts as if he doesn't notice me, which is completely fine with me. I ignore him and take a look around the room.

Unlike every other day in art, there aren't any supplies put out. Our posts are replaced by desks and the room is empty of color.

Hop comes in and walks to the front of the classroom. "You may be wondering what today's assignment is." We nod, and he continues. "What if I told you there isn't an assignment?"

"Free period!" Someone yells from the back of the room.

"No free period. Today, I'm giving you a mission. Think about someone your really care about. It could be someone you've let down, someone you love, or even someone you hate. Your mission is to make their day just a little happier."

There are a lot of negative mutters in the classroom regarding Hop's cheesiness.

"See, this is what I mean. If you died today, would you be able to say you were happy with the way you left things with the people you love?"

Silence. Each student takes his words to mind, even me. Ya Allah, if I died today, I wouldn't be okay with the way I upset my mother. I love Ummi, and I want her to know that. I decide that I'm going to base my assignment on her.

With that, Hop dismisses us forty five minutes early with just one word.

"Begin."