Trouble in Jannah

Each day on Earth is a blessing. Unfortunately, we often forget to be thankful for all that we have. Nonetheless, I definitely want to remember Allah in this perfect moment.

Things are going well. Kennedy is learning more and more about Islam from Abba, Deena and I are getting along, and Tessa and Hamzah are going strong. I'm not bothered by Rochelle and Major. Alhamdullilah, I am in a good place.

Today at Jum'ah prayer, I recite some extra du'as, thankful for all the goodness I have in my life right now. The khutbah sends the beautiful message that Allah is with us during both good and bad times. It is important to remember Him not only when you need His guidance, but also when His guidance has led to your good fortune.

I peek over to Kennedy, who is off to the side, listening to the imam's sermon with his eyes closed. When we rise to pray after the khutbah ends, he remains seated and says a du'a instead. Ken has decided he won't pray until he knows for sure that he wants to be Muslim- an honorable gesture, really.

I leave Jum'ah with my family, feeling the best I've felt in a while, sort of in a state of jannah, or paradise, on Earth. While Abba drives, he declares that we are all going to stay home today, which only happens on rare occasion.

"Kennedy, how did you like the Jum'ah service?" Ummi asks while turning in her passenger seat to look at him.

"Well, the pancakes this morning were amazing."

"Abba's true talent," Deena mutters to me. I poke her in her side and signal her to hush.

"And the service at the mosque?" Ummi continues.

"It was so... peaceful. I believed every word he said, and in my heart, I felt that the message was true. I wasn't perplexed or wary. I just felt at rest, you know? Like I had finally come home." Kennedy says after a deep breath.

Ummi turns back around and doesn't respond. I know it's because she is crying as soon as I hear a sniffle. Happy things get her every time.

The car ride is silent, with everyone in a happy mood. As soon as we get home, Kennedy takes off his coat and faces us. "I have decided that I am a Muslim." His voice is certain and authoritative.

"Are you absolutely sure?" Abba asks.

"Yes," is Kennedy's curt response.

"Well then, let's get started," Abba declares. "Let's teach you how to be a Muslim."

Later on that night, Deena and I are studying in her room, since she has an amazingly comfy bean bag chair. Abba knocks on the door and sticks his head in.

"Look at my two girls," he smiles. "For once, not at each other's throats."

"Abba," Deena complains, dragging out his name. I smile and glance back at my book.

"Yasmeen," I look up again when Abba calls my name. "Habibti, come downstairs. I want to talk to you."

"Me, too?" Deena questions.

"No, love. You stay here."

I follow Abba down the steps and into the parlor, where Ummi is seated. I sit next to her and curiously look at Abba, wondering what this is all about.

"Yasmeen, you are almost seventeen, Masha Allah." Ummi comments.

"Are you planning a birthday party?"

"No," Abba chuckles. "But we are planning your engagement."

I choke on the breath that I'd just taken in. Engagement? "You're kidding, right? I'm too young to get married."

"Yes, but not too old to make the commitment." Abba insists.

Maybe it was my Americanized culture doing the talking, but all this was truly alarming. "I'm basically a baby!"

"You are not," Ummi declares. "You are always telling me how much of a grown up you are, no? Now is your chance to act like one."

I nod silently, part of me knowing that this day would eventually come, and the other part hoping that it hadn't. And then suddenly, one question and one question only comes to mind.

"Who are you planning to engage me to?" I ask, panicked.

"Hamzah."