American Idiots

In bad situations, sometimes all it takes is a little ray of sunshine to help you move forward. It could be a joke, a hug, or even a small smile. For me, it was my sister, Deena. She'd showed be how strong I could be after coming home from the hospital, by putting some happiness into the situation.

My parents had been downstairs, waiting for us to fall asleep.

"Sooraya," I heard Abba say, addressing Ummi by her first name. "I think they are asleep."

We'd returned home from the hospital about four hours ago. It was now 2 A.M. I was listening from upstairs, my body too ached to fall asleep. I thought perhaps I could find out what my parents had been avoiding during the hospital visit.

"We have to tell them something, Malik. I just know we do!" Ummi began to sob.

"It will be okay. It will be, by Allah's will." I heard Abba say after a few seconds.

"They will notice, you know. That I will be home before they get home from school. That I no longer wear pantsuits. That I have lost my job!" Ummi cried.

This was it. My mother had lost her job. I mean, it wasn't such a big deal. We weren't struggling; we had money. So what was keeping my parents from telling us this?

"Oh, Malik, it was horrible," Ummi went on. "I'd walked into my afternoon seminar and there were awful things written on my board. No one had bothered to show up to class."

Abba muttered words of support as I teared up a bit, in sympathy for my mother.

"The students were on strike, my boss informed me. The university decided to fire me in order to keep the students' tuition. They demanded not to be taught by a... by a... a terrorist! Habibi, they called me a terrorist!" Ummi's cries were muffled, which probably meant that she had buried her head in Abba's chest, hugging him while she sobbed.

My heart felt clenched, hearing about what had happened. I thought back to what had happened to me, and I felt safe that I was not alone, only what had happened to Ummi was even worse. Her own boss gave her up, instead of helping her. My mother had practically been sold.

"And as I was leaving, a fellow professor pulled me back from my hijab and spit in my face! It was so degrading, Malik! We have to make sure something like this never happens to them. Never!"

I heard a grunt and a loud bang as Abba punched the wall. "I hate this! People that have known us for years- all it takes is a small group of homicidal IDIOTS to blow up some buildings- and they group us in with them?" He roared with ferocity.

A small knock came at my door. I looked over as Deena stepped in. I said nothing, just lifted the covers so she could lie next to me. Together, we listened.

"Maybe this is a test. If we will honor our religion even through tough times. Maybe it will all blow over." Ummi said, wearily.

"American idiots! Don't you see, Sooraya? It won't blow over! Nothing like this ever does! Look at racism and segregation! Over 200 years!"

I temporarily tuned out Abba's yelling and looked at Deena. I hugged her tightly and patted her back.

"American Idiot," Deena whispered. "What a great title for a song."

I laughed and softly punched her in the arm.

"Hey, Yasmeen?" Deena called softly.

"Yeah?"

"What happened to you? Before you went to the hospital?" She locked eyes with me and took my hand.

"I, uh," I started, avoiding her gaze. "The kids at school humiliated me." I sighed.

"What did they do?"

"They threw food, mostly. But then, someone kicked me and a few others pulled off my hijab, in front of everyone. And they screamed. Oh God, they screamed."

"I'm so sorry." Deena comforted me, as I began to sob.

"Yeah." I whispered, through my tears.

A few moments passed, and we heard Abba still yelling downstairs.

"You've just got to remember that none of it is true," Deena said suddenly. "That's what I did."

"What?" I turned to her.

"Whatever it is that they say to you. None of it is true about you. Hold your head up high and be proud that you're NOT what they think you are. They'll leave you alone."

I thought for a moment. It was true. It was totally true. It was just as Kennedy had said. Everything would be okay if I just let everything roll off me, because none of it mattered. It would be difficult, but things weren't too bad for me. I hadn't lost a job. Instead, I'd made a brilliant friend. The chances of me having another seizure were slim. And I was just starting out high school. I still had a chance.

"You know, you're pretty smart for a baby sister." I teased Deena, wiping away my tears.

"Hey! Only by a year and a few months!"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. You're pretty badass." I admit.

"I know," she smiled. "Someone's gotta keep themselves grounded around here. You guys are all off the walls."

"Would you say we were American idiots?" I smirked.

"As an American, I have to say that term is highly offensive." Deena said seriously. "Did Abba forget that we are Americans too?"

We looked at each other for a second and cracked up laughing. If the term was taken out of the context that Abba had used it in, it was definitely true. We were silly, loving, and fun.

We truly were American idiots.