[29] Free

My head whipped back to Dream and I moved my hand to the communicator in my pocket. "No, you—"

The cell shook violently, almost like a scrawny boat being tossed by the sea. I stumbled to the side, my shoulder slamming against the obsidian wall. The communicator dropped from my hands and I shut my eyes to raise my bandaged arms as shards of black rock rained down on me. A piece of obsidian struck my arm and I grunted at the pain that exploded from the existing wounds. I tried shuffling along the wall to get out of harm's way, but it seemed like the entire prison cell was crumbling all around me. I had only taken a few steps when another shockwave rumbled through the cell. The wooden chest near my feet slammed into my leg and I jumped away from it as the smoke and dust swirled around me, clouding my senses.

Everything was white, layering on my skin and clothes like dainty snowflakes. It took me a moment to realize the cell was no longer shaking. But even as the dust began to clear, the cell remained illuminated in white. It was eerily quiet too.

I looked up, squinting in the light. My heart dropped at the sight before me.

The obsidian had crumbled from the explosions, great big chunks of rock spilling into the cell. The pile led all the way up into the bright sky, even though dark clouds hung out overhead. Not even a cloudy day could compare to the lonely darkness in the cell. I didn't realize how much of a difference there was.

The light shifted, casting a long shadow all the way into the cell. A silhouette stood at the top, looking down into the hole that had been created. Part of the figure was moving and waving, and it took me a second to notice it as a long coat flapping in the breeze.

It was Wilbur.

Now that the light was no longer blinding me, though my headache had unfortunately returned, I could see a wide grin on his face.

"Have you ever seen anything more beautiful than the sun, Dream?" He called, happiness evident in his voice.

Standing in the middle of the cell, Dream didn't look at all shaken up from what happened moments before. His mask turned up to the light, glowing impossibly bright as he spread his arms like he was basking in the warmth.

He chuckled, and called back up to him. "I've been waiting for this, Wilbur."

The dread couldn't have possibly sliced through me any deeper. I didn't even know what to do. I was frozen in place, my eyes wide. Dream was going to leave the prison as the Dreamon.

I had to snap out of it and do something before things got worse. My eyes darted over the rubble that littered the cell. Lava that had splashed into the room sizzled to black on the ground, and giant cracks ran along the obsidian walls that still stood. There had to be something that could help me here.

A metallic object caught my eye. The communicator.

I moved to reach for it, but Dream was suddenly there, scooping it up.

"Wait." I said automatically. I had to get that communicator. If I could just reason with—

He turned and tossed it into the lava like it was little more than trash. I gasped, my hands having reached out for it but freezing in their motion. The loud sizzle only lasted for a second or two.

Dream grabbed my arm to pull me away, and I snapped out of my frozen surprise. I pushed him away, slipping out of his grasp.

"What are you doing?" I asked incredulously, my voice rising.

"You're coming with us," he said firmly.

"No I'm not." I asserted, equally as fierce.

He grabbed my arm again, squeezing tight. "Yes you are."